The Top 10
Top 20 hiphop albums
1. ghostface killah - 'fish scale' and 'more fish'
2. scienz of life - the blaxploitation sessions
3. project polaroid - project polaroid
4. mf grimm - american hunger(3 disc release, but ranked as if it was shortened to a single disc with the best tracks. There is a lot of trash on here)
5. madlib - movie scenes vol. 1-2
6. j dilla - 'the shining' and 'donuts'
7. Masta Killa - Made In Brooklyn
8. az - the format
9. lake featuring cormega - my brothers keeper
10. lord jamar - the 5 percent album
11. mos def - true magic
12. aceyalone and rjd2 - magnificent city
13. Bronze Nazareth - The Great Migration
14. Hi-Tek - The Chip
15. inspectah deck - the resident patient
16. lupe fiasco - food & liguor
17. the roots - game theory
18. prince po - pretty black
19. outerspace - blood brothers
20. Soul Position - Things Go Better with RJ and Al
1. ghostface killah - 'fish scale' and 'more fish'
2. scienz of life - the blaxploitation sessions
3. project polaroid - project polaroid
4. mf grimm - american hunger(3 disc release, but ranked as if it was shortened to a single disc with the best tracks. There is a lot of trash on here)
5. madlib - movie scenes vol. 1-2
6. j dilla - 'the shining' and 'donuts'
7. Masta Killa - Made In Brooklyn
8. az - the format
9. lake featuring cormega - my brothers keeper
10. lord jamar - the 5 percent album
11. mos def - true magic
12. aceyalone and rjd2 - magnificent city
13. Bronze Nazareth - The Great Migration
14. Hi-Tek - The Chip
15. inspectah deck - the resident patient
16. lupe fiasco - food & liguor
17. the roots - game theory
18. prince po - pretty black
19. outerspace - blood brothers
20. Soul Position - Things Go Better with RJ and Al
-
user_1978
off the top of my head, in no order (and surely missng stuff), several music things that I liked this year:
G*Park - 1983-1988+ 6xCDr (Tochnit-Aleph, GER)
Incapacitants - Pariah Tapes 5xCD (Freak Animal, FIN)
Dan Melchior - Fire Breathing Clones on Cellular Phones CD (Plastic, US)
Birchville Cat Motel - Curved Surface Destroyer 3xCD (Last Visible Dog, US)
Francisco Lopez - Absolute Noise Ensemble 2xCD (Blossoming Noise, US)
Pumice - Yeahnahvienna CD (Soft Abuse, US)
Overhang Party - Live Before and After 2xCD (There, JP)
Mike Shiflet - Ichinomiya 5.3.6. CD (Troniks/Little Enjoyer, US)
Idea Fire Company - Vital: Live in Europe CD (Swill Radio, US)
Jim Haynes - Telegraphy by the Sea CD (Helen Scarsdale, US)
Macronympha - Mugwump Reformer Mixes CDr (Audio Dissection, IT)
Yermo - s/t CD (Last Visible Dog, US)
food for thought: Fag Tapes/Sick Llama, Seht, Kommissar Hjuler & Mama Bar, Licht-Ung, Goodiepal, Andreas Martin, peeesseye, Red Horse, To Live & Shave in LA, Vertonen, Jason Lescalleet, Brendan Murray, The Cherry Point, Climax Golden Twins, John Weise, Gods of Tundra, irr.app.(ext.), Roel Meelkop, Keith Whitman.
I published 3 CDs in 2006.
1 LP and 2 CDrs of my own music was published this year.
I contributed short compositions to 4 compilations.
No tours, not very many concerts.
G*Park - 1983-1988+ 6xCDr (Tochnit-Aleph, GER)
Incapacitants - Pariah Tapes 5xCD (Freak Animal, FIN)
Dan Melchior - Fire Breathing Clones on Cellular Phones CD (Plastic, US)
Birchville Cat Motel - Curved Surface Destroyer 3xCD (Last Visible Dog, US)
Francisco Lopez - Absolute Noise Ensemble 2xCD (Blossoming Noise, US)
Pumice - Yeahnahvienna CD (Soft Abuse, US)
Overhang Party - Live Before and After 2xCD (There, JP)
Mike Shiflet - Ichinomiya 5.3.6. CD (Troniks/Little Enjoyer, US)
Idea Fire Company - Vital: Live in Europe CD (Swill Radio, US)
Jim Haynes - Telegraphy by the Sea CD (Helen Scarsdale, US)
Macronympha - Mugwump Reformer Mixes CDr (Audio Dissection, IT)
Yermo - s/t CD (Last Visible Dog, US)
food for thought: Fag Tapes/Sick Llama, Seht, Kommissar Hjuler & Mama Bar, Licht-Ung, Goodiepal, Andreas Martin, peeesseye, Red Horse, To Live & Shave in LA, Vertonen, Jason Lescalleet, Brendan Murray, The Cherry Point, Climax Golden Twins, John Weise, Gods of Tundra, irr.app.(ext.), Roel Meelkop, Keith Whitman.
I published 3 CDs in 2006.
1 LP and 2 CDrs of my own music was published this year.
I contributed short compositions to 4 compilations.
No tours, not very many concerts.
- Richard Pinnell
- Posts: 2629
- Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:12 pm
- Location: Oxfordshire, England
- Contact:
OK so as the year finally reaches its end here you go with a Top20 somehow whittled down from the 350 or so CDs I have acquired over the last twelve months.
Cathnor releases are obviously excluded, otherwise at least one would have figured pretty highly.
1. Keith Rowe / Toshimaru Nakamura ? between (Erstwhile)
2. Taku Sugimoto / Taku Unami ? Tengu et Kitsune (Slub)
3. Klaus Filip / Toshimaru Nakamura ? Aluk (IMJ)
4. [N:Q] ? November Quebec (Esquilo)
5. Mark Wastell ? Amoungst English Men (Absinth)
6. Jakob Ullmann ? A Catalogue of Sounds (Edition RZ)
7. Nmperign / Jason Lescalleet ? Love me two times (Intransitive)
8. Mattin / Radu Malfatti ? Going Fragile (Formed)
9. David Lacey / Paul Vogel / Mark Wastell ? Live Dublin (Confront)
10. Manfred Werder ? 20061 (Skiti)
11. Keith Rowe, Tomas Korber, Gunter M?ller ? Fibre (For 4 Ears)
12. Will Guthrie / Ferran Fages ? Cinabri (Absurd)
13. Anthony Burr, Charles Curtis ? Alvin Lucier (Antiopic/Sigma)
14. Burkhard Stangl / Taku Unami ? i was (Hibari)
15. Arek Gulbenkoglu ? Untitled (Document)
16. Tim Parkinson ? Cello Piece (Wandelweiser)
17. Jason Lescalleet ? The Pilgrim (Glistening Examples)
18. Kai Fagaschinski / Christof Kurzmann ? First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Quincunx)
19. Christof Kurzmann / Ami Yoshida ? a s o (Erstwhile)
20. Taku Sugimoto ? Live in Kansai (Slub)
Happy New Year
Cathnor releases are obviously excluded, otherwise at least one would have figured pretty highly.
1. Keith Rowe / Toshimaru Nakamura ? between (Erstwhile)
2. Taku Sugimoto / Taku Unami ? Tengu et Kitsune (Slub)
3. Klaus Filip / Toshimaru Nakamura ? Aluk (IMJ)
4. [N:Q] ? November Quebec (Esquilo)
5. Mark Wastell ? Amoungst English Men (Absinth)
6. Jakob Ullmann ? A Catalogue of Sounds (Edition RZ)
7. Nmperign / Jason Lescalleet ? Love me two times (Intransitive)
8. Mattin / Radu Malfatti ? Going Fragile (Formed)
9. David Lacey / Paul Vogel / Mark Wastell ? Live Dublin (Confront)
10. Manfred Werder ? 20061 (Skiti)
11. Keith Rowe, Tomas Korber, Gunter M?ller ? Fibre (For 4 Ears)
12. Will Guthrie / Ferran Fages ? Cinabri (Absurd)
13. Anthony Burr, Charles Curtis ? Alvin Lucier (Antiopic/Sigma)
14. Burkhard Stangl / Taku Unami ? i was (Hibari)
15. Arek Gulbenkoglu ? Untitled (Document)
16. Tim Parkinson ? Cello Piece (Wandelweiser)
17. Jason Lescalleet ? The Pilgrim (Glistening Examples)
18. Kai Fagaschinski / Christof Kurzmann ? First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Quincunx)
19. Christof Kurzmann / Ami Yoshida ? a s o (Erstwhile)
20. Taku Sugimoto ? Live in Kansai (Slub)
Happy New Year
-
user_935
top 10
TOP 11.
calendar sticklers will notice that there are two releases from 2005 (the grisey and negative entropy). c?est la vie.
. . . in alphabetical order.
1. asher - directions (leerraum) cdr
2. raymond dijkstra - der triumph (le souffleur) cdr
3. gerard grisey - les espaces acoustiques (kairos2 x cd
4. melvins - houdini live 2005 (ipecac) cd
5. negative entropy - m.s. stubnitz, stockholm 9.07.1998 (absurd) cd
6. robert pollard - from a compound eye (merge) cd
7. sonic youth - rather ripped (geffen) cd
8. toru takemitsu - corona (explore) cd [reissue]
9. the vulture club - pure agitator (invisible generation) cdr
10. scott walker - the drift (4AD) cd
11. brendan walls - outposts (dom) lp
honorable mention:
cannibal corpse - kill (metalblade) cd
michel chion - tu (brocoli) cd
jason lescalleet - the pilgrim (glistening examples) lp +cd
loose fur - born again in the usa (drag city) cd
c.m. von hausswolff - the wonderful world of male intuition (oral) cd
christian weber - osaka live (self released) mini cdr
happy 2007.
adam
- - - - -
for the latest publication and concert info visit: http://www.longboxrecordings.com" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;
NEW:
daniel menche - creatures of cadence (LBT040 / CROU32) cd
IN PREPARATION:
jason kahn / tomas korber / christian weber - z?rcher aufnahmen (LBT039) cd - available, 16 january
calendar sticklers will notice that there are two releases from 2005 (the grisey and negative entropy). c?est la vie.
. . . in alphabetical order.
1. asher - directions (leerraum) cdr
2. raymond dijkstra - der triumph (le souffleur) cdr
3. gerard grisey - les espaces acoustiques (kairos2 x cd
4. melvins - houdini live 2005 (ipecac) cd
5. negative entropy - m.s. stubnitz, stockholm 9.07.1998 (absurd) cd
6. robert pollard - from a compound eye (merge) cd
7. sonic youth - rather ripped (geffen) cd
8. toru takemitsu - corona (explore) cd [reissue]
9. the vulture club - pure agitator (invisible generation) cdr
10. scott walker - the drift (4AD) cd
11. brendan walls - outposts (dom) lp
honorable mention:
cannibal corpse - kill (metalblade) cd
michel chion - tu (brocoli) cd
jason lescalleet - the pilgrim (glistening examples) lp +cd
loose fur - born again in the usa (drag city) cd
c.m. von hausswolff - the wonderful world of male intuition (oral) cd
christian weber - osaka live (self released) mini cdr
happy 2007.
adam
- - - - -
for the latest publication and concert info visit: http://www.longboxrecordings.com" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;
NEW:
daniel menche - creatures of cadence (LBT040 / CROU32) cd
IN PREPARATION:
jason kahn / tomas korber / christian weber - z?rcher aufnahmen (LBT039) cd - available, 16 january
Re: top 10
this is astoundingadam sonderberg wrote:3. gerard grisey - les espaces acoustiques (kairos2 x cd
2007 has arrived and while I?m sure that much music released in 2006 will continue to arrive, the time for vacillation is over. In order to quit the past it must poured over, dissected, a toast raised and then lowered into it?s eternal rest. As always I?m looking back over the albums that I acquired, listened to and discussed over the past year. I make no claims of any sort of universal ?best? or anything of that nature. A fact that is hammered home over and over again every time I look at the lists of a jazz, indie, classical, etc focused site and there is no mention, not even in a top 50, of those albums that in my circles are deemed ?essential?. Of course that goes both ways as I see lists of artists I have never heard or long since moved away from. So this reflection is personal, it?s what I listened to a lot of and what I thought was really great.
2006 began slowly for aficionados of electro-acoustic improvisation amid some thoughts of stagnation in the genre. But some of the albums released at the very beginning of the year, Fibre and (N:Q), were among the years best. Spring brought us Keith Rowe and Toshimaru Nakamura?s between which would prove to be the improv album of the year. The year in improv continued apace with solid releases appearing all the way to the end of the year. My other great musical love is composed music across it?s entire history but primarily early music and modern composition. This year I focused a lot more in this area and found a lot of real exciting music. The history of the sounds used so much in the modern improv I so enjoy became a lot clearer to me, especially from the John Cage festival I attended this year. By the end of the year I had a pretty large list and another list of things I still needed to hear a number of which certainly have the potential for becoming a favorite.
So here are my lists in several different categories. The first are my favorites of the year, the things that I thought were amazing music, that I listened to over and over again. In general these are all one hundred percent solid, albums that only have a couple of good tracks on them are usually not candidates for this. For me, and perhaps it is my classical background, but I think of albums as a piece and if they are marred by a bad track or two it just won?t become a favorite. However this year there were several albums that had pretty amazing tracks on them but were marred by one or two tracks. These I?ve collected into the Other Things I Liked section along with a couple of things just shy of the top 20. Finally the ?Essential Reissues? is certainly not comprehensive and is really just a couple of things that are pretty much top 5 material but I either already had in previous editions or were clear reissues of an existing album.
2006 Favorites
Keith Rowe/Toshimaru Nakamura between (Erstwhile)
Ann Heymann Cruit go n?r ? Harp of Gold (self released)
Filament Dark Room Filled with Light(Uplink)
David Tudor/Gordon Mumma (New World)
(N:Q) November Quebec (Esquilo)
Toshimaru Nakamura/Klaus Filip aluk (IMJ)
Anthony Burr/Charlies Curtis Alvin Lucier (Antioptic)
Mark Wastell/David Lacey/Paul Vogel Live at the i+e festival (Confront)
Traw with Rhodri Davies Cwymp Y Dwr Ar Ganol Dydd (Confront)
Taku Sugimoto/Taku Unami Tengu Et Kitsune (Slub)
Eddie Prevost Entelechy (Matchless)
J.S. Bach Goldberg Variations, 14 Canons (Richard Egarr Harpsichord) (Harmonia Mundi)
Keith Rowe/Tomas Korber/G?nter M?ller fibre (For4Ears)
Manfred Werder 2006^1 (Skiti)
Burkhard Stangl / Taku Unami I was (Hibari)
Fergus Kelly/David Lacey Bevel (Room Temperature)
Nmperign/Jason Lescalleet Love Me Two Times (Intransitive)
Jeph Jerman/Albert Casais/Greg Davis 6?20 (Winds Measure)
Joe Foster Knock Nevis (For Wilson Zorn and J.P. Jenkins) (homophoni)
Ami Yoshida/Christof Kurzmann a s o (Erstwhile)
Essential Reissues
John Cage Sonata?s and Interludes for Prepared Piano (John TIlbury, Piano) (Explore)
Earl Brown Selected Works 1952-1965 (New World)
Morton Feldman The Viola in My Life (New World)
Other Things I liked
GOD Each One Confinement Force (self released)
Joe Panzner Polished Rocks (gmby)
Masahiko Okura/Ami Yoshida/G?nter M?ller tanker (For4Ears)
Will Guthrie Body and Limbs Still Look to Light (Cathnor)
Morton Feldman Complete Violin/Viola and Piano Works (OgreOgress)
Joe Foster Ethics (Self Released)
2006 began slowly for aficionados of electro-acoustic improvisation amid some thoughts of stagnation in the genre. But some of the albums released at the very beginning of the year, Fibre and (N:Q), were among the years best. Spring brought us Keith Rowe and Toshimaru Nakamura?s between which would prove to be the improv album of the year. The year in improv continued apace with solid releases appearing all the way to the end of the year. My other great musical love is composed music across it?s entire history but primarily early music and modern composition. This year I focused a lot more in this area and found a lot of real exciting music. The history of the sounds used so much in the modern improv I so enjoy became a lot clearer to me, especially from the John Cage festival I attended this year. By the end of the year I had a pretty large list and another list of things I still needed to hear a number of which certainly have the potential for becoming a favorite.
So here are my lists in several different categories. The first are my favorites of the year, the things that I thought were amazing music, that I listened to over and over again. In general these are all one hundred percent solid, albums that only have a couple of good tracks on them are usually not candidates for this. For me, and perhaps it is my classical background, but I think of albums as a piece and if they are marred by a bad track or two it just won?t become a favorite. However this year there were several albums that had pretty amazing tracks on them but were marred by one or two tracks. These I?ve collected into the Other Things I Liked section along with a couple of things just shy of the top 20. Finally the ?Essential Reissues? is certainly not comprehensive and is really just a couple of things that are pretty much top 5 material but I either already had in previous editions or were clear reissues of an existing album.
2006 Favorites
Keith Rowe/Toshimaru Nakamura between (Erstwhile)
Ann Heymann Cruit go n?r ? Harp of Gold (self released)
Filament Dark Room Filled with Light(Uplink)
David Tudor/Gordon Mumma (New World)
(N:Q) November Quebec (Esquilo)
Toshimaru Nakamura/Klaus Filip aluk (IMJ)
Anthony Burr/Charlies Curtis Alvin Lucier (Antioptic)
Mark Wastell/David Lacey/Paul Vogel Live at the i+e festival (Confront)
Traw with Rhodri Davies Cwymp Y Dwr Ar Ganol Dydd (Confront)
Taku Sugimoto/Taku Unami Tengu Et Kitsune (Slub)
Eddie Prevost Entelechy (Matchless)
J.S. Bach Goldberg Variations, 14 Canons (Richard Egarr Harpsichord) (Harmonia Mundi)
Keith Rowe/Tomas Korber/G?nter M?ller fibre (For4Ears)
Manfred Werder 2006^1 (Skiti)
Burkhard Stangl / Taku Unami I was (Hibari)
Fergus Kelly/David Lacey Bevel (Room Temperature)
Nmperign/Jason Lescalleet Love Me Two Times (Intransitive)
Jeph Jerman/Albert Casais/Greg Davis 6?20 (Winds Measure)
Joe Foster Knock Nevis (For Wilson Zorn and J.P. Jenkins) (homophoni)
Ami Yoshida/Christof Kurzmann a s o (Erstwhile)
Essential Reissues
John Cage Sonata?s and Interludes for Prepared Piano (John TIlbury, Piano) (Explore)
Earl Brown Selected Works 1952-1965 (New World)
Morton Feldman The Viola in My Life (New World)
Other Things I liked
GOD Each One Confinement Force (self released)
Joe Panzner Polished Rocks (gmby)
Masahiko Okura/Ami Yoshida/G?nter M?ller tanker (For4Ears)
Will Guthrie Body and Limbs Still Look to Light (Cathnor)
Morton Feldman Complete Violin/Viola and Piano Works (OgreOgress)
Joe Foster Ethics (Self Released)
"Please everybody, if we haven't done what we could have done, we've tried"
My top ten. And I think this is very much my top ten.
Mark Wastell - Amo(u)ngst English Men (Absinth)
Sunshine Has Blown - Sunshine Has Blown (MYMWLY)
Stangl/Unami - I Was (Hibari)
Lasse Marhaug - Spaghetti Western Rainbow (Utech)
Nakamura/Filip - Aluk (IMJ)
Eric La Casa - Secousses Panoramiques (Hibari)
The Necks - Chemist (Fish of Milk/ReR)
The Year Of - Slow Days (Morr Music)
Greg Malcolm - Hung (Celebrate Psi Phenomenon)
The International Nothing - Mainstream (Ftarri)
Of course, the best record I heard all year is Kommando Raumschiff Zitrone - First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, a record so good I set up a label to make sure other people could hear it. I've listened to it more than any other record this year (as you may expect) and it's still, for me, the best thing I've heard all year.
The new Traw/Rhodri Davies CDs sounds pretty good on one distracted listen, but who puts records out in December for heaven's sake?
Reissues tomorrow.
Mark Wastell - Amo(u)ngst English Men (Absinth)
Sunshine Has Blown - Sunshine Has Blown (MYMWLY)
Stangl/Unami - I Was (Hibari)
Lasse Marhaug - Spaghetti Western Rainbow (Utech)
Nakamura/Filip - Aluk (IMJ)
Eric La Casa - Secousses Panoramiques (Hibari)
The Necks - Chemist (Fish of Milk/ReR)
The Year Of - Slow Days (Morr Music)
Greg Malcolm - Hung (Celebrate Psi Phenomenon)
The International Nothing - Mainstream (Ftarri)
Of course, the best record I heard all year is Kommando Raumschiff Zitrone - First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, a record so good I set up a label to make sure other people could hear it. I've listened to it more than any other record this year (as you may expect) and it's still, for me, the best thing I've heard all year.
The new Traw/Rhodri Davies CDs sounds pretty good on one distracted listen, but who puts records out in December for heaven's sake?
Reissues tomorrow.
Before we slip too far into 2007, I think I've settled on a top 10 for 2006. I know my #1 is pretty dumb but I like to pick my top disc of the year more by how often and how loudly I like to play it rather than artistic merit.
So, the countdown of 2006:
10 Harvey Milk - Special Wishes (megablade)
09 Manfred Werder - 2006^1 (skiti)
08 Burkhard Stangl/ Taku Unami - I Was (hibari)
07 Joseph Foster - Ethics (no label)
06 Mattin/ Radu Malfatti - Going Fragile (formed)
05 Toshimaru Nakamura/ Klaus Filip - Aluk (improvised music from japan)
04 Kyle Bruckmann/ Werner Dafeldecker/ Boris Hauf - Wane (formed)
03 Keith Rowe/ Toshimaru Nakamura - Between (erstwhile)
02 Norbert Moslang/ Gunter Muller - Wild Suzuki (for4ears)
01 Mattin - Songbook 4 (azul discografica)
(edit 'cause I already changed my mind)
So, the countdown of 2006:
10 Harvey Milk - Special Wishes (megablade)
09 Manfred Werder - 2006^1 (skiti)
08 Burkhard Stangl/ Taku Unami - I Was (hibari)
07 Joseph Foster - Ethics (no label)
06 Mattin/ Radu Malfatti - Going Fragile (formed)
05 Toshimaru Nakamura/ Klaus Filip - Aluk (improvised music from japan)
04 Kyle Bruckmann/ Werner Dafeldecker/ Boris Hauf - Wane (formed)
03 Keith Rowe/ Toshimaru Nakamura - Between (erstwhile)
02 Norbert Moslang/ Gunter Muller - Wild Suzuki (for4ears)
01 Mattin - Songbook 4 (azul discografica)
(edit 'cause I already changed my mind)
The grammatical rules associated with diagrammatic reduction become apparent by considering a more tractable diagrammatic representation, applied to the Windsor knot in Fig. 8. - Fink & Mao, Tie knots, random walks and topology, (Physica A 276)
of course there's tons of stuff that i enjoyed but haven't been able to spend enough time with to honestly include on my list. as good as many records have been to me on a handful of listens, here are the few i was able to play over and over again, for whatever reasons.
cd/mp3:
mattin/axel dorner - berlin (absurd)
november:quebec (esquilo)
joe foster - knock nevis (homophoni)
bonnie prince billy - the letting go (drag city)
live:
schnee, los glissandinos @ u. of chicago renaissance society
erstquake 3 (esp. sachiko m/sean meehan, english, english/sachiko m, barnes/jerman/meehan, malfatti/mattin)
greg kelley solo
tetuzi akiyama solo
feldman's piano and string quartet
dave quam's performance piece "automatic ranting"
cd/mp3:
mattin/axel dorner - berlin (absurd)
november:quebec (esquilo)
joe foster - knock nevis (homophoni)
bonnie prince billy - the letting go (drag city)
live:
schnee, los glissandinos @ u. of chicago renaissance society
erstquake 3 (esp. sachiko m/sean meehan, english, english/sachiko m, barnes/jerman/meehan, malfatti/mattin)
greg kelley solo
tetuzi akiyama solo
feldman's piano and string quartet
dave quam's performance piece "automatic ranting"
favorites
Ami Yoshida + Christof Kurzmann - a s o [Erstwhile]
Eric Cordier - Breizhiselad [Erewhon]
Nmperign + Jason Lescalleet - Love Me Two Times (2xCD) [Intransitive]
Richard Kamerman - Prophethead (CD-R) [Curor]
Starving Weirdos - Self-Hypnosis (CD-R) [Jyrk]
Of - The Awful Cloud (CD-R) [Jyrk]
no-mind - Winter Layers (CD-R) [Hollow Earth]
Keith Rowe + Toshimaru Nakamura - Between [Erstwhile]
Volcano the Bear - Classic Erasmus Fusion (2xCD) [Beta-lactam Ring]
Ent - Fuck Work [Baskaru]
Lionel Marchetti - Red Dust (3'' CD) (3xCD) [Crouton]
worth mentioning
Serge Baghdassarians + Boris Baltschun + Burkhard Beins - Zur stabilen st?tzung eines k?rpers ist es notwendig: Da? er mindestens drei auflagenpunkte hat, die nicht in einer geraden liegen [Absinth]
Jeph Jerman - Untitled Erstquake Edition (CD-R) [No Label]
Howard Stelzer - This Map is a Gift (CD-R) [Gameboy]
Joe Foster - Ethics (CD-R) [No Label]
Ferran Fages + Will Guthrie - Cinabri (CD-R) [Absurd]
eRikm - Sixp?riodes [Sirr.ecords]
Ami Yoshida + Christof Kurzmann - a s o [Erstwhile]
Eric Cordier - Breizhiselad [Erewhon]
Nmperign + Jason Lescalleet - Love Me Two Times (2xCD) [Intransitive]
Richard Kamerman - Prophethead (CD-R) [Curor]
Starving Weirdos - Self-Hypnosis (CD-R) [Jyrk]
Of - The Awful Cloud (CD-R) [Jyrk]
no-mind - Winter Layers (CD-R) [Hollow Earth]
Keith Rowe + Toshimaru Nakamura - Between [Erstwhile]
Volcano the Bear - Classic Erasmus Fusion (2xCD) [Beta-lactam Ring]
Ent - Fuck Work [Baskaru]
Lionel Marchetti - Red Dust (3'' CD) (3xCD) [Crouton]
worth mentioning
Serge Baghdassarians + Boris Baltschun + Burkhard Beins - Zur stabilen st?tzung eines k?rpers ist es notwendig: Da? er mindestens drei auflagenpunkte hat, die nicht in einer geraden liegen [Absinth]
Jeph Jerman - Untitled Erstquake Edition (CD-R) [No Label]
Howard Stelzer - This Map is a Gift (CD-R) [Gameboy]
Joe Foster - Ethics (CD-R) [No Label]
Ferran Fages + Will Guthrie - Cinabri (CD-R) [Absurd]
eRikm - Sixp?riodes [Sirr.ecords]
sorry, wasn't recorded. it will be read about in art textbooks for years to come though. I have preformed this piece twice, it sort to deals with religion. I never remember doing it though, and i dont know if its because i get into this trance like state when i preform it, or because I was under the influence. I got arrested for preforming it once, and one time a bunch of people tried to kill me over it. Very controversial.
2006 has been a pretty cool year as far as listening to music, playing music, and seeing live music. I think I tried to pay more attention to music comming out as well as seeing a lot more shows then i normally see (which still wasn't that many). Played a shitload of music as well. 2006 was a pretty fun year.
My favorites:
Albums I liked in 2006 (no order)
Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury (pretty much the only hip hop album that has came out in two years or so that i consider pretty much flawless all the way through. No tracks i dont like, perfect length. Stop making hip hop albums so fucking long dudes)
God - Each One Confinement Force (Soundtrack for the end of the world. Must have listened to it about 10 times the first week I had it through my shitty blown out speakers. Listened to it on some decent headphones and speakers and liked it even more. Shame its maybe their last release)
Nmperign/Lescalleet - Love Me Two Times (Had high hopes for this and wasn't dissapointed. Wonderful track sequencing. All over the place. "white wall" is a masterpiece)
Pedestrian Desposit - Fatale (At times very beautiful. Other times completely evil. Love this guy, one of my favorite noise artists)
Mattin/Axel Dorner - Berlin (While some of the fake silences kind of bother me, a still quite impressive record. Dorner is inhuman. Mattin is just weird)
Grizzly Bear - Yellow House (expected nothing from this. Don't pay attention to much pop music these days and im glad i gave this one attention. Beautiful stuff, Production is quite nice as well. Really like the vocals. "Marla" rules)
Jazkamer - Metal Music Machine (another one i expected to suck. How these guys pulled off laptop metal is beyond me, but it rules. MY SATANIC PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!)
Keith Rowe/Toshimaru Nakamura - Between (Mind Melting release. As a whole its great but I have listened to the 2nd disc much more.
13630 khz is basically a power electronics track. Really great Structure and variety throughout the disc. But who on this forum doesn't know this?)
Ami Yoshida/Christof kurzmann - aso (after hearing this disc and seeing kurzmann play a few times this year he has become pretty much hands down my favorite laptopper in the game. Both schnee sets i saw this year really blew me away, as well as the records of his i heard. Anyone who can throw a pop song into this sort of music and pulls it off is pretty cool if you ask me. Ami is in top form throughout this disc as well. She seems to have really changed up her sounds for this disc, something not enough musicians do. Two top releases this year jon, bravo)
Joe Foster - Ethics/knock nevis (Both of these really made me think hard about this kind of music. Ethics: Four tracks recorded in order. what the fuck? Some really out there shit. Gorgeous. Knock Nevis: perfect track all the way through. Very influential on me as far as playing music goes. Props to The Reverend Dr Kirby for releasing this on homophoni as well)
Bryan Eubanks/David Kendall 3" cdr on EMR (I think this was 2006? 2nd track is a serious piece of "what the fuck?" Really love pretty much everything i've heard on this label)
Goslings - Granduer of Hair (Shoedoom. Some seriously blown out shit)
Lionel Marchetti - Red Dust 3x3" (Packaging of the year for sure. Such a nicely put together release that is equally good sonicly. Really great use of samples from some great sources. The dub sample was really well placed. The computer voices kind of bugged me at first but worked out after a few listens. Really great composition)
Yellow Swans - Psychic Secsession (This was 2006 right? I don't think I saw it on anyone elses list but fuck it, its 2006 to me. totally slept on this band for along time. Finally decided to check this one out after hearing some really good things about it. Such cool music. Really goes against a lot of other music that its lumped with. While they are often quite droney, they stay pretty far away from what a lot drones sound like. While they are pretty noise oriented they don't sound like most noise artists. Kind of a stupid way to explain it, but yeah, great band. Rad album. Nice people.)
Honorable mentions or records I haven't listened to enough yet:
Trae - Restless
Aaron Dilloway - asset stripping
Greg Kelley - One hour
Kommando Raumschiff Zitrone - First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Bonnie Jones - Vines 3"
Nakamura/Filip - Aluk
Ghostface - Fishscale
Live Shows of 2006
Greg Kelley - Solo at Lampo, Chicago
Super Unity - Valentines, Portland
JP Jenkins/Kelvin Pitman duo - Valentines, Portland
Los Glisandinos - Erstquake night 1 @Tonic, NYC
Sachiko M/Sean Meehan - Erstquake night 2 @tonic NYC
Schnee - Erstquake night 2 @ tonic, NYC
English - Erstquake night 2 @ tonic, NYC
Aaron Dilloway/Lasse Marhaug - Erstquake night 2 @ tonic, NYC
GOD - Erstquake night 3 @ tonic, NYC
Los Glisandinos - UIC, Chicago
Schnee - UIC, Chicago
forgot what else i saw, but those all ruled.
My favorites:
Albums I liked in 2006 (no order)
Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury (pretty much the only hip hop album that has came out in two years or so that i consider pretty much flawless all the way through. No tracks i dont like, perfect length. Stop making hip hop albums so fucking long dudes)
God - Each One Confinement Force (Soundtrack for the end of the world. Must have listened to it about 10 times the first week I had it through my shitty blown out speakers. Listened to it on some decent headphones and speakers and liked it even more. Shame its maybe their last release)
Nmperign/Lescalleet - Love Me Two Times (Had high hopes for this and wasn't dissapointed. Wonderful track sequencing. All over the place. "white wall" is a masterpiece)
Pedestrian Desposit - Fatale (At times very beautiful. Other times completely evil. Love this guy, one of my favorite noise artists)
Mattin/Axel Dorner - Berlin (While some of the fake silences kind of bother me, a still quite impressive record. Dorner is inhuman. Mattin is just weird)
Grizzly Bear - Yellow House (expected nothing from this. Don't pay attention to much pop music these days and im glad i gave this one attention. Beautiful stuff, Production is quite nice as well. Really like the vocals. "Marla" rules)
Jazkamer - Metal Music Machine (another one i expected to suck. How these guys pulled off laptop metal is beyond me, but it rules. MY SATANIC PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!)
Keith Rowe/Toshimaru Nakamura - Between (Mind Melting release. As a whole its great but I have listened to the 2nd disc much more.
13630 khz is basically a power electronics track. Really great Structure and variety throughout the disc. But who on this forum doesn't know this?)
Ami Yoshida/Christof kurzmann - aso (after hearing this disc and seeing kurzmann play a few times this year he has become pretty much hands down my favorite laptopper in the game. Both schnee sets i saw this year really blew me away, as well as the records of his i heard. Anyone who can throw a pop song into this sort of music and pulls it off is pretty cool if you ask me. Ami is in top form throughout this disc as well. She seems to have really changed up her sounds for this disc, something not enough musicians do. Two top releases this year jon, bravo)
Joe Foster - Ethics/knock nevis (Both of these really made me think hard about this kind of music. Ethics: Four tracks recorded in order. what the fuck? Some really out there shit. Gorgeous. Knock Nevis: perfect track all the way through. Very influential on me as far as playing music goes. Props to The Reverend Dr Kirby for releasing this on homophoni as well)
Bryan Eubanks/David Kendall 3" cdr on EMR (I think this was 2006? 2nd track is a serious piece of "what the fuck?" Really love pretty much everything i've heard on this label)
Goslings - Granduer of Hair (Shoedoom. Some seriously blown out shit)
Lionel Marchetti - Red Dust 3x3" (Packaging of the year for sure. Such a nicely put together release that is equally good sonicly. Really great use of samples from some great sources. The dub sample was really well placed. The computer voices kind of bugged me at first but worked out after a few listens. Really great composition)
Yellow Swans - Psychic Secsession (This was 2006 right? I don't think I saw it on anyone elses list but fuck it, its 2006 to me. totally slept on this band for along time. Finally decided to check this one out after hearing some really good things about it. Such cool music. Really goes against a lot of other music that its lumped with. While they are often quite droney, they stay pretty far away from what a lot drones sound like. While they are pretty noise oriented they don't sound like most noise artists. Kind of a stupid way to explain it, but yeah, great band. Rad album. Nice people.)
Honorable mentions or records I haven't listened to enough yet:
Trae - Restless
Aaron Dilloway - asset stripping
Greg Kelley - One hour
Kommando Raumschiff Zitrone - First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Bonnie Jones - Vines 3"
Nakamura/Filip - Aluk
Ghostface - Fishscale
Live Shows of 2006
Greg Kelley - Solo at Lampo, Chicago
Super Unity - Valentines, Portland
JP Jenkins/Kelvin Pitman duo - Valentines, Portland
Los Glisandinos - Erstquake night 1 @Tonic, NYC
Sachiko M/Sean Meehan - Erstquake night 2 @tonic NYC
Schnee - Erstquake night 2 @ tonic, NYC
English - Erstquake night 2 @ tonic, NYC
Aaron Dilloway/Lasse Marhaug - Erstquake night 2 @ tonic, NYC
GOD - Erstquake night 3 @ tonic, NYC
Los Glisandinos - UIC, Chicago
Schnee - UIC, Chicago
forgot what else i saw, but those all ruled.
What's the story with that Dave? They giving up on the cross country collaboration? They were really great at the show in Seattle in December and I (mostly) agree with your assessment on this album.dave quam wrote:God - Each One Confinement Force (... Shame its maybe their last release)
"Please everybody, if we haven't done what we could have done, we've tried"
thanks for the kind words regarding psychic... I don't even know what year it came out in! for all intents and purposes, it was made available to most folks in april of 2006... but the aussie version came out october of 2005.. we're working on a new studio album that should be determinably a 2007 record barring any problems..
GOD is not broken up and they're still recording.. I think there may be a YS/GOD show on april 1st here in Portland actually... can't wait to see what they do this next year.. they both seem really energized by the whole east coast tour and Erstquake so.. hopefully they'll be kicking some serious ass....
GOD is not broken up and they're still recording.. I think there may be a YS/GOD show on april 1st here in Portland actually... can't wait to see what they do this next year.. they both seem really energized by the whole east coast tour and Erstquake so.. hopefully they'll be kicking some serious ass....
-
user_599
1) Harvey Milk - Special Wishes
2) Weird Weeds - Weird Feelings
3) Liars - Drum's Not Dead
4) ? - ?
5) Rope - Heresy, And Then Nothing But Tears
6) Coughs - Secret Passage
7) Grails - Black Tar Prophecies
8) Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
9) James Blackshaw - O True Believers
10) Flying Luttenbachers - Cataclysm
There's a lot I've yet to hear from 2006 - my list is almost all I heard from last year. The break between 6 & 7 reflects that 7-10 probably won't stay on the list once I hear more from the year.
2) Weird Weeds - Weird Feelings
3) Liars - Drum's Not Dead
4) ? - ?
5) Rope - Heresy, And Then Nothing But Tears
6) Coughs - Secret Passage
7) Grails - Black Tar Prophecies
8) Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
9) James Blackshaw - O True Believers
10) Flying Luttenbachers - Cataclysm
There's a lot I've yet to hear from 2006 - my list is almost all I heard from last year. The break between 6 & 7 reflects that 7-10 probably won't stay on the list once I hear more from the year.
