Keith Rowe

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

mudd
Site Admin
Posts: 4514
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by mudd »

awesome. hopefully they'll get a nice tour together somewhere i can see them.

m

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7920
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by Dan Warburton »

jon abbey wrote:exceedingly excited to announce a new project: the trio of Keith with Cor Fuhler and Burkhard Beins.
That sounds like a splendid line-up. I look forward to hearing the results. On the subject of Cor (and totally off topic as usual), if Jacques Oger's reading, maybe he could report on Cor's gig last Saturday in Paris w/ Sachiko, Tom Ankersmit, Pita etc..
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Jacques Oger
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 2:19 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by Jacques Oger »

Dan Warburton wrote:
jon abbey wrote:exceedingly excited to announce a new project: the trio of Keith with Cor Fuhler and Burkhard Beins.
That sounds like a splendid line-up. I look forward to hearing the results. On the subject of Cor (and totally off topic as usual), if Jacques Oger's reading, maybe he could report on Cor's gig last Saturday in Paris w/ Sachiko, Tom Ankersmit, Pita etc..
I apologize in advance, it will be quick...

Cor's piece was great. Prepared piano. He played more on the keyboard than usual (nice, soft and aerial fingering). BUT there was a big problem with sound system. Much too low. He was very disappointed.
Thomas Anskermit made same kind of piece he usually does (analogical system + alto sax with circular breathing & several layers of notes). He complained about sound system too.
Sachiko was great. She played a piece in the same vein as "Salon de Sachiko" + one sine wave at a moment. As it was crowded (free concert), several people coughing (a bit disturbing for me, even if you think it could be a cageian environnment, I would have preferred more silence. That sort of thing which can despair me) , some people were surprised by her music. At a moment someone shouted "that's enough" others replied "if you don't like that, go away".
Mika Vainio, same shit as usual. A lot of people came mainly for him I guess.
FM Einheit was pathetic: he tried desperately to make sounds while destroying bricks. Fortunately, eRik M was making good music on his side, as always. Unfortunately he swallowed a lot of dust (the broken bricks...). My impression : it seemed to me that audience preferred FM Einheit.

I didn't attend the Pita's concert.
http://www.potlatch.fr" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7920
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by Dan Warburton »

Thanks Jacques, I see I didn't miss much.
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

User avatar
oldirtybastien
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: paris

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by oldirtybastien »

Jacques Oger wrote:BUT there was a big problem with sound system. Much too low.
Yes except for the Vainio set which I enjoyed a bit (and sexy chicks were there!)
Plus, sets were very short...I was excited to see Ankersmit but a bit disappointed in the end because of the tiny duration (less than 30 minutes).
Miss Matsubara is a brave person. Almost a fight near me(!!), complaints, laughs...
so hard to appreciate what she actually did. She had big applauses anyway
And yes Jacques, Einheit was pathetic, but what can you expect... it' s clearly a spectacular thing. I thought even erik was bad in fact.
Pita was on sunday, I wasn't there either.

I'm pyched about this Rowe/Fuhler/Beins project...
I love erstlive001 and the Rowe/Fulher on Conundrom is nice too but did cor and burkhard ever recorded something as a duo?

User avatar
Richard Pinnell
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: Oxfordshire, England
Contact:

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by Richard Pinnell »

oldirtybastien wrote:
Jacques Oger wrote:(sexy chicks were there!)
Was this because of Easter? A novelty I suppose but didn't they make a lot of noise? Actually I imagine a lot of little clucks and cheeps would work well with Sachiko's solo.

User avatar
RFKorp
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 5:01 pm
Location: next to my computer

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by RFKorp »

:roll:

Richard Pinnell, message board comedian extraordinaire.
The grammatical rules associated with diagrammatic reduction become apparent by considering a more tractable diagrammatic representation, applied to the Windsor knot in Fig. 8. - Fink & Mao, Tie knots, random walks and topology, (Physica A 276)

User avatar
jon abbey
Posts: 19017
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by jon abbey »

oldirtybastien wrote:I'm pyched about this Rowe/Fuhler/Beins project...
I love erstlive001 and the Rowe/Fulher on Conundrom is nice too but did cor and burkhard ever recorded something as a duo?
they haven't worked together as a duo as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

mudd
Site Admin
Posts: 4514
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by mudd »

so nobody else is gonna comment on the tabletop guitar / piano / percussion aspect?

m

User avatar
oldirtybastien
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: paris

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by oldirtybastien »

Richard Pinnell wrote:
oldirtybastien wrote:
Jacques Oger wrote:(sexy chicks were there!)
Was this because of Easter? A novelty I suppose but didn't they make a lot of noise? Actually I imagine a lot of little clucks and cheeps would work well with Sachiko's solo.
I think they went for the rooster(mika) who is quite sexy too (alan vega certainly was influential for him...)
Actually this is a project of EAI I have(read Electro-Animal Improvisation) : feedbacked chickens and dogs processed through no-input mule. The preparation takes some time but works great. Hard to find a venue though... People are so close minded you know...

Cornelis
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by Cornelis »

jon abbey wrote:
oldirtybastien wrote:I'm pyched about this Rowe/Fuhler/Beins project...
I love erstlive001 and the Rowe/Fulher on Conundrom is nice too but did cor and burkhard ever recorded something as a duo?
they haven't worked together as a duo as far as I know, but I could be wrong.
that's right, nor in any other combo

Cor

User avatar
RFKorp
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 5:01 pm
Location: next to my computer

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by RFKorp »

mudd wrote:so nobody else is gonna comment on the tabletop guitar / piano / percussion aspect?

m
somehow I thought this had already been covered. I guess just off-board. But, um. hooray for a return to the AMM instrumentation? That's honestly not the most exciting part for me but it is pretty cool.
The grammatical rules associated with diagrammatic reduction become apparent by considering a more tractable diagrammatic representation, applied to the Windsor knot in Fig. 8. - Fink & Mao, Tie knots, random walks and topology, (Physica A 276)

Cornelis
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by Cornelis »

mudd wrote:so nobody else is gonna comment on the tabletop guitar / piano / percussion aspect?

m

hehe
This is actually the reason it was persponed for a while
As far as I remember, Keith suggested this trio to Burkhard, and Burkhard was making sure it had nothing to do with AMM in any way. Then when Burkhard played in Paris and I did a solo the same evening, he mentioned Keith's proposal to me, and I thought it would be a very good combination. I did not think about AMM at any time (call me naive). Keith then took another while to propose it again to make sure. So all in all, it has nothing to do with that. As is kinda logical as far as I am concerned. It's about the people more than anything.
But of course, Mudd, you're right notecing this.

Cor

mudd
Site Admin
Posts: 4514
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by mudd »

i'm excited about it because i know that none of the participants would be satisfied playing ammusic, and the extra challenge for them (and for us listeners) ups the ante a little. see: the hands of caravaggio.

i certainly agree that it's a good idea for a trio even without the history. looking forward.

m

User avatar
jon abbey
Posts: 19017
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by jon abbey »

there are two general aspects Keith misses about AMM, one is playing with people his own age (which he gets to do to an extent with Merce Cunningham, where he plays with Christian Wolff and Kosugi a lot, but that's obviously usually pretty restricted playing), and the other is playing with the piano/percussion instrumentation, which he'll get to do for the first time in a while in this project.

of course, as Cor says, it's primarily about the people. Keith has long musical relationships with both Cor and Burkhard and if either of them weren't into this trio, I think the project would have just been dropped.

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7920
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by Dan Warburton »

jon abbey wrote:there are two general aspects Keith misses about AMM, one is playing with people his own age (which he gets to do to an extent with Merce Cunningham, where he plays with Christian Wolff and Kosugi a lot
What's a lot? How many times have they played together? Any recordings?
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

User avatar
jon abbey
Posts: 19017
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by jon abbey »

Dan Warburton wrote:
jon abbey wrote:there are two general aspects Keith misses about AMM, one is playing with people his own age (which he gets to do to an extent with Merce Cunningham, where he plays with Christian Wolff and Kosugi a lot
What's a lot? How many times have they played together? Any recordings?
they've done a few UK tours together already, so maybe 20 or so so far? they're about to start a French tour, so maybe you can catch them if you're interested. the music 'pit' will be Kosugi/Wolff/Keith and Stephan Moore.

http://www.merce.org/schedule.html

no recordings as far as I know, not sure how the music holds up outside of the performance context it's designed for.

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7920
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by Dan Warburton »

Yikes, I've seen posters for those dates around town.. never thought the band might include Mr Rowe. Time to call the babysitter. Thanks for the info.
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

User avatar
jkudler
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Phila, PA

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by jkudler »

huh, that's interesting rowe's with the cunningham company. do you have any more info jon? do you know how/why? the website has precious little info. cunningham obviously has a long history with the musical avant-garde, and i know they've worked with jim o'rourke and sonic youth, but aside from that i haven't heard much about them working with improvisers outside that sort of "new york school" circle.

-j.

User avatar
schiksalgemeinschaft
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:43 am
Location: the low countries
Contact:

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by schiksalgemeinschaft »

I missed this, a Belgium Rowe show, apparently with visuals...

Fr 13 March 2009 20:00 / Kjell Bjørgeengen & Keith Rowe

"Together with Kjell Bjørgeengen he developed an audiovisual improvisation with the title A Zvex line. The piece is based on the wide effects of Zachary Vex 'Fuzz Factory guitar pedal, so the concept is granted fuzzy cosmic dimensions."


anyone been there or nows more?

site of the organisation (in English):
http://www.netwerk-art.all2all.org/en/a ... events/362

some other groups played as well.