what are you listening to? a new dawn

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

Locked
User avatar
Dohol
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: In the heart of the evil empire..
Contact:

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by Dohol »

Image


This is the Bailey I like...sixties..early-mid seventies..after Aida, well, I kind of lost interest.
“In a kind of middle-aged crisis, it dawned upon me that there was a possibility that music might not even be an art form.”

Morton Feldman


http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook

box229
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 10:28 am

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by box229 »

Tygers of Pan Tang

box229
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 10:28 am

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by box229 »

Sorry... it's Hula: Black Pop Workout

User avatar
7/4
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 9:32 pm
Contact:

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by 7/4 »

ImageImage

Giacinto Scelsi - The Piano Works 1
Giacinto Scelsi - The Orchestral Works 2

User avatar
Dohol
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: In the heart of the evil empire..
Contact:

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by Dohol »

7/4 wrote:ImageImage

Giacinto Scelsi - The Piano Works 1
Giacinto Scelsi - The Orchestral Works 2

I really, really dig his writing for strings, but his piano stuff just..well.. it doesn't do it for me.
“In a kind of middle-aged crisis, it dawned upon me that there was a possibility that music might not even be an art form.”

Morton Feldman


http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook

User avatar
7/4
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 9:32 pm
Contact:

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by 7/4 »

Dohol wrote:
7/4 wrote:ImageImage

Giacinto Scelsi - The Piano Works 1
Giacinto Scelsi - The Orchestral Works 2

I really, really dig his writing for strings, but his piano stuff just..well.. it doesn't do it for me.
I saw your comment in another, old thread.

I don't know...I'm still trying to form an opinion. Although I'm not really crazy about the piano stuff, I'm workin' on it.

User avatar
Salty Swift
Posts: 1580
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:32 pm
Location: in front of my laptop

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by Salty Swift »

7/4 wrote:ImageImage

Giacinto Scelsi - The Piano Works 1
Giacinto Scelsi - The Orchestral Works 2
Frances Marie-Uitti is coming to town on Wednesday.
She'll be performing some of this stuff.....should be hot!!
"A little older, a little more confused"

User avatar
Jesse
Posts: 3613
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by Jesse »

Image

Image

Image

All damn day.
Damon, Niwi, you must know this stuff?
http://crowwithnomouth.wordpress.com/

Experimental music should be something that suggests a way of organizing your thinking, your attitude toward the world, which suggests that the world could be different.
Christian Wolff 2014

User avatar
niwi
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: austin
Contact:

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by niwi »

Jesse wrote:Image

Image

Image

All damn day.
Damon, Niwi, you must know this stuff?

oh yeah, that's some good stuff right there. i think i'll listen to those now, too :P

User avatar
kristop
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by kristop »

Image
Last edited by kristop on Fri May 23, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bryan
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:34 am

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by bryan »

Image
Gang Starr - Moment of Truth
classic DJ Premier sample chopping, great drum sounds throughout

User avatar
chris himself
Posts: 733
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 1:53 pm

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by chris himself »

Image

Various : Wayfaring Strangers - Guitar Soli

The Numero label continues to impress...

simon reynell
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by simon reynell »

Dohol wrote:Image


This is the Bailey I like...sixties..early-mid seventies..after Aida, well, I kind of lost interest.
Great stuff indeed. But in my opinion you're missing some treats if you ignore Bailey's later discs. Just sticking to solo recordings after Aida:

1985 - Notes (Incus LP, never re-issued as cd, incredibly)
1986/87 - Drop me off an 96th (Scatter cd)
1994 & 2001 - In Church (Incus cd-r)
1998 - Takes Fakes & Death She Dances (Incus)
2003 - To Play (Samadhisound cd)
2005 - Carpal Tunnel (Tzadik cd)

All of these discs have really beautiful pieces. OK, it was no longer so ground-breaking, but that doesn't make it less exquisite music.

After Bailey died I spent a month listening to nothing but his solo playing, and it was a great experience. For me he was a really formative musician; 'Lot 74' was the first improv record I bought as a teenager in 1974, and I followed his work ever since. And contrary to some opinions, he didn't stay still as a musician. Though his sound was recognisably his own 30-odd years on, his extraordinary openness to new collaborations & younger players kept his music fresh right to the end. I didn't like all his collaborations, but their unpredictability kept me on my toes. And, to return to the solos, IMO 'Carpal Tunnel' is as moving as any disc I can think of; I can hardly bear to play it. It is inseparable from its biographical context, and has a unique, forlorn beauty.

User avatar
Dohol
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: In the heart of the evil empire..
Contact:

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by Dohol »

simon reynell wrote:
Dohol wrote:Image


This is the Bailey I like...sixties..early-mid seventies..after Aida, well, I kind of lost interest.
Great stuff indeed. But in my opinion you're missing some treats if you ignore Bailey's later discs. Just sticking to solo recordings after Aida:

1985 - Notes (Incus LP, never re-issued as cd, incredibly)
1986/87 - Drop me off an 96th (Scatter cd)
1994 & 2001 - In Church (Incus cd-r)
1998 - Takes Fakes & Death She Dances (Incus)
2003 - To Play (Samadhisound cd)
2005 - Carpal Tunnel (Tzadik cd)

All of these discs have really beautiful pieces. OK, it was no longer so ground-breaking, but that doesn't make it less exquisite music.

After Bailey died I spent a month listening to nothing but his solo playing, and it was a great experience. For me he was a really formative musician; 'Lot 74' was the first improv record I bought as a teenager in 1974, and I followed his work ever since. And contrary to some opinions, he didn't stay still as a musician. Though his sound was recognisably his own 30-odd years on, his extraordinary openness to new collaborations & younger players kept his music fresh right to the end. I didn't like all his collaborations, but their unpredictability kept me on my toes. And, to return to the solos, IMO 'Carpal Tunnel' is as moving as any disc I can think of; I can hardly bear to play it. It is inseparable from its biographical context, and has a unique, forlorn beauty.
Ha!


Lot 74 was maybe my third Bailey disc...


I didn't mean to imply that Derek didnt create works of beauty after 1981...far from it. He did, very much so..But there came a time when I'd heard it before. That's my problem not baileys..

I did the same thing after he died..Lot 74, guitar solos 1 and 2..Aida..Takes Fakes Dead She Dances..
“In a kind of middle-aged crisis, it dawned upon me that there was a possibility that music might not even be an art form.”

Morton Feldman


http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook

User avatar
kristop
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by kristop »

Image

User avatar
palfoot
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by palfoot »

christina kubisch - on air

Image

die schachtel cassette reissue, without multimedia. electronic/ vocal parts on 'speak and spell' are particularly cheesy for my likings, but 'listen to the walls' got my attention, it's more disorienting and reminds me of jaap/ratkje interaction on improvisers a bit, albeit automatic writing-whispery & overmanipulated. installation pieces are a little boring.

User avatar
kristop
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by kristop »

Image

:shock:

User avatar
kristop
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by kristop »

Image

alan licht & aki onda - everydays

User avatar
Salty Swift
Posts: 1580
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:32 pm
Location: in front of my laptop

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by Salty Swift »

Image

Image

What can I say? It's Friday night :mrgreen:
"A little older, a little more confused"

User avatar
Jesse
Posts: 3613
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

Re: what are you listening to? a new dawn

Post by Jesse »

Image

Purchased from the source today (Rhyme Sayers' have a hip hop store here).

Don't get "You" in your head, it'll loop for days.
http://crowwithnomouth.wordpress.com/

Experimental music should be something that suggests a way of organizing your thinking, your attitude toward the world, which suggests that the world could be different.
Christian Wolff 2014