Rap Music

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

User avatar
MRS
Posts: 2800
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 9:56 am

Re: Rap Music

Post by MRS »

I love Quinn, especially the 4.5.7 series. When is the Slapp Addict 2 due?

User avatar
joe
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:03 pm
Location: Austin

Re: Rap Music

Post by joe »

I feel like I don't listen to the bay enough.

Image

is an undeniable modern classic though

User avatar
dave quam
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Re: Rap Music

Post by dave quam »

Image

User avatar
dave quam
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Re: Rap Music

Post by dave quam »

Z-Ro on hanging with DJ Screw from Murder Dog Vol. 12, Number 2:

I remember he took me to the Cappa Beach Party and it was my first time going to some shit like that. At the time Screw was a celebrity like a muthafucka and he already downplayed that shit. He would never even trip off that shit. He was like "I'm gonna pick you up and we are gonna go to the beach party!" I was trying to get to the barbershop and get a fade right quick. He came to pick me up and before we even got out of Houston we was sippin lean like a muthafucka. Before we got out the neighborhood we was leanin like a muthafucka! I'm in the back seat leanin, there was someone in the back seat with me and he was leanin asleep and Shorty Mac was in the front passenger seat and Screw was driving. About 15-20 minutes into the ride I fell asleep. I woke up in the back seat and I was looking around. I looked to my right side because I was sitting right behind Screw and I looked at Grace and he was snoring. I look in the front seat at Shorty Mac and he was snoring and then I looked at Screw and he was snoring asleep and he was driving! The shit was so fucked up because Screw had his arms folded like he was the passenger or something, but he was driving. I couldn't do nothing but scream because we were about to go to the guard rail. We were in the middle of the bridge and the guard rail was getting closer and closer real fast. We were in the far left lane, but we were headed for the far right guard rail crossing the whole muthafuckin freeway. I was scared as a muthafucka!

Screw opened his eyes and he was so calm and cool! This nigga put his pinky finger on the steering wheel and got the car under control with his pinky finger. He looked in the rearview and smiled at me real fast. That was my first time going to the ghetto beach party and that whole weekend was full of shit like that. We were coming out of the room going to the Big Pokey concert down there and we were in the elevator all leanin. Once we get to the ground the doors open and we were all asleep in the elevator standing up. The police were standing right there when the doors opened up. They were like "Man, you are all on that shit, huh?" I was tryin to close the doors like a muthafucka! It was funny like a muthatfucka!

User avatar
ghostargot
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:26 pm

Re: Rap Music

Post by ghostargot »

Thanks for that, Dave. Amazing.

User avatar
William Hutson
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:10 am

Re: Rap Music

Post by William Hutson »

that's a couple of years old. i remember reading that interview when it came out. murder dog was far and away my favorite magazine at that time. i used to subscribe.

such a great story. thanks for reminding me of it.

User avatar
jon abbey
Posts: 19017
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Rap Music

Post by jon abbey »

awesome. it's a real shock those guys all die so young. :shock:

User avatar
dave quam
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Re: Rap Music

Post by dave quam »

I have wanted to subscribe to it but I hear that it basically comes out whenever it wants and they usually skimp you on issues. This was just the opinion of the blogger i got the above story from (twankleandglisten.blogspot.com, one of my fav blogs)

seems like its better to just buy it locally?

User avatar
William Hutson
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:10 am

Re: Rap Music

Post by William Hutson »

yeah. i subscribed because they used to cut you a deal when you ordered the murder dog presents: kansas city comp. the issues showed up pretty sporadically. now i just read it in the store.

User avatar
William Hutson
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:10 am

Re: Rap Music

Post by William Hutson »

this dude is counting down the 30 best gucci mane tracks of 2008.

http://www.somanyshrimp.com/

truly amazing.

User avatar
dave quam
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Re: Rap Music

Post by dave quam »

yeah i've been checking that out, its awesome.

User avatar
vegetable mind
farcical and aquatic
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: Rap Music

Post by vegetable mind »

what does breihanic mean? he uses the phrase "in a post-breihanic era" and i am clueless as to what this is getting at

User avatar
Joda
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 8:39 am
Contact:

Re: Rap Music

Post by Joda »

dave quam wrote:yeah i've been checking that out, its awesome
Yea, me too.

Seems he just added some dl links as well... sweet. 8-)

User avatar
William Hutson
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:10 am

Re: Rap Music

Post by William Hutson »

vegetable mind wrote:what does breihanic mean? he uses the phrase "in a post-breihanic era" and i am clueless as to what this is getting at
tom breihan. he's a writer for pitchfork-- sorta the main hipster guy who decides which rappers become accepted by sweater-wearing white guys (clipse, lil wayne, cam'ron, etc).

User avatar
William Hutson
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:10 am

Re: Rap Music

Post by William Hutson »

just googled him to make sure i was right! turns out he's mainly a writer for the village voice.

Image

User avatar
MRS
Posts: 2800
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 9:56 am

Re: Rap Music

Post by MRS »

This has been getting regular airplay on the local station of late, truly bizarre and fascinating shit (well, I've heard three tracks). Not a value judgment but I've never warmed to female rappers. Out of Tampa, it's blistering fast freestyle over UK-produced beats so uncharacteristic as to seem out of place. One track is in 5/4. The content is graphic, lesbian, club-style blowout and if wiki can be trusted there are christian shades as well (!). Google imagery reveals that their shows are equally interesting.

Image

User avatar
Jason Brogan
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 10:31 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Rap Music

Post by Jason Brogan »

I've been listening a lot to the new (MF) Doom track, "BALLSKIN," from his upcoming album.

http://www.myspace.com/mfdoom

User avatar
joe
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:03 pm
Location: Austin

Re: Rap Music

Post by joe »

some recession rap out of austin for you dave

http://www.bigbadmedium.com/southbound- ... aint-right

User avatar
dave quam
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Re: Rap Music

Post by dave quam »

thanks mang!

User avatar
dave quam
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Re: Rap Music

Post by dave quam »

speaking of recession raps, been enjoying this P Dukes joint quite a bit

http://nyc.duttyartz.com/mp3s/PDukesJos ... MeAWay.mp3

dutty artz have a bunch of em up on their site, this might be my favorite aside from the Jadakiss and Barrington levy track

Return to “I Hate Music”