Rap Music
Re: Rap Music
Wow, thanks!
Re: Rap Music
Trap Goes Ham might be the greatest music video ever made. So fucking intense.... how to even talk about it.
That jerk stuff is great, throughly amazing... all of it, every jerk song every made, seriously.
That jerk stuff is great, throughly amazing... all of it, every jerk song every made, seriously.
It's a blues riff in B watch me for the changes
Re: Rap Music
No, there are a lot of awful Jerkin songs.
There are some cool ones though.
There are some cool ones though.
Re: Rap Music
haha.. there's definitely plenty to hate about the Cool Kids but they grew on me and I'm curious what they come up with on their full length. To me, they're a throwback to a more naive era in rap but the hipster cache hurts me about their stuff (same thing with Diplo-related things though they sound cool). I'll have to check more Jerk stuff, but on cursory listen the beat style wasn't so appealing though it was fun.dave quam wrote:If i want to hear some hipster kids talk about their shoes and how they have beepers I'd rather listen to the California Jerk stuff, which is good somtimes, though a lot of times really bad haha.
Freddie Gibbs has a killer flow. Dude can really rap and just sounds hungry. Nice that he rhymed over the '93 Til Infinity beat! An old fav, that one.
Pill's "Trap Goin Ham" video wasn't as crazy as I expected when I first saw it.. for once the "real shit" isn't just in the lyrics. Gives the usual conflicted feelings.
Still having problems liking Gucci Mane. Seems like a lot of Southern rappers get over on the sound of their vocals, like Plies. I see the appeal there and the reverse, technical rhyming, is boring to death (Kweli, etc). Hmph... I guess that's why Gibbs is so damn good, he's got the skills and a good voice too.
Re: Rap Music
So I dig Freddie Gibbs, but I'm getting sick of only finding about one great hip hop album every year (last year's was G-Side's Starshipz and Rocketz). Anything wonderful flying under the radar these days?
Re: Rap Music
Aside from what has been mentioned (Lil B, Freddie Gibbs, Pill, and Gucci) St 2 Lettaz's (from G-Side) new mixtape is super great. Traps 'n' Trunks Huntsville tape and the new G-Side album coming out this year, all great. I'm also surprised no has mentioned All Star, really good.
Also I love every Jerkin one just based on it being Jerkin, that's the way it is with me.
Also I love every Jerkin one just based on it being Jerkin, that's the way it is with me.
It's a blues riff in B watch me for the changes
Re: Rap Music
Jay Rock's '30 Day Takeover' mixtape is pretty good, which is 30 tracks he released, one a day, in the month of august. I checked it out randomly after liking one of the vids that was floating about at the time and theres a lot of good tracks, standouts for me are 'Dollars Make Sense' and 'Thug it Out'.simplicio wrote:Anything wonderful flying under the radar these days?
Also, another one from Alabama I'm digging is Kristmas 'So Gifted' mixtape. Features a handful of Block Beataz production and is fun to listen to.
Looking forward to Jeezy's 'Thug Motivation 103' coming out soon...
edit: I forgot to mention, Z-Ro's 'Cocaine' (the album) that came out right after the mixtape of the same name is the best rap 'album' I expect to hear this year.
Re: Rap Music
I recently ordered this. Z-ro is one of the most interesting rappers but this record was missed by the music press. It's been out for two weeks and I haven't seen a single review anywhere and I've looked. Like yourself, I see this as one of the big releases in 2009.Joda wrote:simplicio wrote:edit: I forgot to mention, Z-Ro's 'Cocaine' (the album) that came out right after the mixtape of the same name is the best rap 'album' I expect to hear this year.
Has anyone here heard it and how does it compare to earlier releases?
Well... There is a vast network, right? An ocean of possibilities-
Freddie Howard
Freddie Howard
Re: Rap Music
I heard about 2/3 of it today, and didn't find it especially memorable. The Life of Joseph W. McVey and I'm Still Livin' are probably the best records he's done under his own name, but I liked him better in Guerilla Maab and S.L.A.B., he and Trae together are better than either on their own, although I haven't gotten as into the ABN stuff.
Re: Rap Music
Thanks Jon. I agree re: I'm still Livin'. I haven't heard The Life of Joseph W. McVey but like S.L.A.B.'s The Anthem very much. I haven't heard any of the others or Guerilla Maab. I like a few Trae solo records but wince a bit on tracks with Billy Cook's cloying vocals.
Well... There is a vast network, right? An ocean of possibilities-
Freddie Howard
Freddie Howard
Re: Rap Music
Z Ro is just sort of a rapper I can always throw on while I'm in my room by myself listening to music. Since that is my favorite place to listen to music, Z-Ro is one of my favorite rappers. I haven't heard Cocaine (the album) yet but the mixtape was great. Also, I love how much of a grumpy hater he is.
I have heard a handful of Bama stuff from this year and most of the production remains great. The few songs that come to mind are Betta Half - The Game Needs Me, Swagzilla - Confessions of a Swagaholic, and the group track from the Rocket City mixtape "Granddaddy", which has a beautiful beat. I'm sticking up for the production on these, not the rapping for the most part. Except I like Kristmas - I'm Fuckin the Dopeman's Girlfriend, because it's kind of a funny storytelling bit, with a sick beat.
While Gucci's kind of scary sounding voice is awesome, Gucci Mane is a good rapper because he is well, a great rapper. As far as only rapping about dope and diamonds, he's pretty much the best. I mean:
red bezel on my jacob looking like a sliced tomato
fuck a hater i blow acres of jamaica in decatur
im so extraordinary while my bracelet so canary
choppers that my niggas carry probably scare the military
half your budget spent on luggage, spent your mortgage on a portrait
purple bud look like an orchid, cant afford it? watch me torch it
tell your shorty, gucci at her birthday party, cost a 40
this imported foreign flying saucer make me feel important
tell big booty gina from virginia if you ever see her
i remember last november and i can’t wait till the sequel
where’s my equal? i don’t see him, never met him, never meet him
if i meet him, i’ma greet him, beat him, eat him up and leave him
He has a lot of fun with language, and fuck other any retro rap 90s golden era throwback rap shit in 2009, Gucci Mane name checked Jeru tha Damaja!
To those who aren't feeling rap within the last few years, or are having trouble finding anything you like, what is the problem? I'm not saying there isn't any problems, but I'm just curious as to what is keeping your interests low. Just not finding the right stuff, or are certain trends bothering you?
I forgot was the quik and kurupt album brought up in this thread? Thats probably my favorite rap album of this year, or maybe even the last few years.
This just kinds of surprises me because you dig the Cool Kids. Not that it's the same, but I hear a lot of similarities. Or maybe I just see a lot of similar clothes? I really don't know, but I really don't like the cool kids. They make really aimless music. Jerkin stuff might be pretty much all about pant sizes, but atleast its danceable an occasionally knocks.I'll have to check more Jerk stuff, but on cursory listen the beat style wasn't so appealing though it was fun.
I have heard a handful of Bama stuff from this year and most of the production remains great. The few songs that come to mind are Betta Half - The Game Needs Me, Swagzilla - Confessions of a Swagaholic, and the group track from the Rocket City mixtape "Granddaddy", which has a beautiful beat. I'm sticking up for the production on these, not the rapping for the most part. Except I like Kristmas - I'm Fuckin the Dopeman's Girlfriend, because it's kind of a funny storytelling bit, with a sick beat.
While Gucci's kind of scary sounding voice is awesome, Gucci Mane is a good rapper because he is well, a great rapper. As far as only rapping about dope and diamonds, he's pretty much the best. I mean:
red bezel on my jacob looking like a sliced tomato
fuck a hater i blow acres of jamaica in decatur
im so extraordinary while my bracelet so canary
choppers that my niggas carry probably scare the military
half your budget spent on luggage, spent your mortgage on a portrait
purple bud look like an orchid, cant afford it? watch me torch it
tell your shorty, gucci at her birthday party, cost a 40
this imported foreign flying saucer make me feel important
tell big booty gina from virginia if you ever see her
i remember last november and i can’t wait till the sequel
where’s my equal? i don’t see him, never met him, never meet him
if i meet him, i’ma greet him, beat him, eat him up and leave him
He has a lot of fun with language, and fuck other any retro rap 90s golden era throwback rap shit in 2009, Gucci Mane name checked Jeru tha Damaja!
To those who aren't feeling rap within the last few years, or are having trouble finding anything you like, what is the problem? I'm not saying there isn't any problems, but I'm just curious as to what is keeping your interests low. Just not finding the right stuff, or are certain trends bothering you?
I forgot was the quik and kurupt album brought up in this thread? Thats probably my favorite rap album of this year, or maybe even the last few years.
Re: Rap Music
Well, as far as the Cool Kids their subject matter is bullshit and it doesn't pretend to be anything other. So I'm cool with that. Other than being hipsters and talking about silly stuff I don't relate them to jerkin and I'm more interested in them as a group than a style.. just seems something creative might come from the Cool Kids album.. we'll see.dave quam wrote:This just kinds of surprises me because you dig the Cool Kids. Not that it's the same, but I hear a lot of similarities. Or maybe I just see a lot of similar clothes? I really don't know, but I really don't like the cool kids. They make really aimless music. Jerkin stuff might be pretty much all about pant sizes, but atleast its danceable an occasionally knocks.I'll have to check more Jerk stuff, but on cursory listen the beat style wasn't so appealing though it was fun.
It's the flow that I don't like. Yung LA takes it to its logical extreme and raps like mushmouth from the Cosby Kids. It's purposefully dumbed down and just rubs me the wrong way.. maybe I'll get over it.dave quam wrote:While Gucci's kind of scary sounding voice is awesome, Gucci Mane is a good rapper because he is well, a great rapper. As far as only rapping about dope and diamonds, he's pretty much the best.
haha yeah I see the fun in it and the Jeru namecheck is weird considering how militantly anti-materialistic Jeru was/is.dave quam wrote:He has a lot of fun with language, and fuck other any retro rap 90s golden era throwback rap shit in 2009, Gucci Mane name checked Jeru tha Damaja!
So much dumbing down to appeal to little kids. Granted, I like some dumbness but when it's more cash-oriented and less creative then I'm bored. So much limited subject matter based on perpetual stereotypes, so calculated. Still plenty of creativity, it just gets hard to look past the stuff I don't like at times. I can always listen to my old man rap... like Q-Tip's album The Renaissance and such.dave quam wrote:To those who aren't feeling rap within the last few years, or are having trouble finding anything you like, what is the problem? I'm not saying there isn't any problems, but I'm just curious as to what is keeping your interests low. Just not finding the right stuff, or are certain trends bothering you?
ANyway.. I do have a soft spot for Malachi The Nutcracker, and this list of the best bad rappers:
http://danteross.com/blogs/jzone/2009/1 ... d-rappers/
Re: Rap Music
that old Afros record had a couple stinging cuts buried on it, not lyingbryan wrote:the best bad rappers
Re: Rap Music
Speaking of bad rappers. Stick around for the Billy Goat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB3UT1_QOIw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB3UT1_QOIw
Re: Rap Music
Noj wrote:Speaking of bad rappers. Stick around for the Billy Goat.![]()
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB3UT1_QOIw
Wow did they really have to fill 9 minutes worth? Haha. Chill samples though.
I see your goat, and raise you a cat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjfbS_Kj-J0
The subject matter may leave a bit to be desired, but the flow is undeniable.
Re: Rap Music
All true about the jerk thing, but I still love it, maybe it's because I'm young. Some of it has some cool depth. Anyone know pink dollaz? Riot Grrrrll Jerk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PNS_p2xrk
Also wanted to ask people their thoughts on the two new G-side releases? They're pretty great, if not a little over recycled. What do others think?
My big question though is about the new Lil Wayne tape. Most people have been hating, but I really like it. It's not as good as earlier stuff and he sounds less hungry and is for sure trying less hard, but still it's as good as anything right now. Thoughts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PNS_p2xrk
Also wanted to ask people their thoughts on the two new G-side releases? They're pretty great, if not a little over recycled. What do others think?
My big question though is about the new Lil Wayne tape. Most people have been hating, but I really like it. It's not as good as earlier stuff and he sounds less hungry and is for sure trying less hard, but still it's as good as anything right now. Thoughts?
It's a blues riff in B watch me for the changes
Re: Rap Music
that best bad rappers list includes project pat, which is absurd.
and someone in the comments listed E-40 as one of his favorite "non-lyrical" rappers, which is one of the stupidest things i've ever heard said about rap music ever. The list also includes Norega and Pimp C.
and someone in the comments listed E-40 as one of his favorite "non-lyrical" rappers, which is one of the stupidest things i've ever heard said about rap music ever. The list also includes Norega and Pimp C.
Re: Rap Music
It's fun, I like it.. before it I was not aware of the "Throw it in the bag" remix, which is so much better than the original. The beat, I mean.bkudler wrote:My big question though is about the new Lil Wayne tape. Most people have been hating, but I really like it. It's not as good as earlier stuff and he sounds less hungry and is for sure trying less hard, but still it's as good as anything right now. Thoughts?
Oh, snap! Look what I saw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJiOOQ9SY6s
I feel late to this but Curren$y is from this neck of the woods and this beat is ill:
Curren$y - Blown Away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKeHvQXfMLw
Re: Rap Music
my favorite gucci track: "i think i love her" feat. esther dean.
what's the new lil wayne mixtape? i recently downloaded "steady mobbin" and the title track fucking KILLS. kiiiiillllllssssss. But the rest of it is boring.
what's the new lil wayne mixtape? i recently downloaded "steady mobbin" and the title track fucking KILLS. kiiiiillllllssssss. But the rest of it is boring.
