Notable discs 2008

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

mshiflet
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 9:57 am

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by mshiflet »

tadk wrote:
faster wrote:
tadk wrote:Bryan Eubanks - Desired Climate Works 2006 - 2007
(Caveat: I haven't listened to these discs back-to-back-to-back yet, and may never do so)
me too. i usually choose one disc or one track

I haven't either. Since he notes that it was never his intention, I don't really feel bad about it either. What a monster. I'm actually still assembling the last few copies on an order-per-order basis. Got burned out after 85 or so...


Oddly enough, everything I wanted to single out is already on tadk's list, so I'm going to have to check some of the others he mentions, but I will put in extra nods for the Marchetti/Murayama and Burning Star Core discs.

tadk
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by tadk »

First [Lionel Marchetti & Seijiro Murayama] "Hatali Atseli (L'Echange des Yuex), then "Adèle et Hadrien (Le Livre des Vacances)" and now [Olivier Capparos & Lionel Marchetti] "Livre des morts". This year belongs to Marchetti.

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7920
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by Dan Warburton »

Oh, is Livre des Morts out? Must get hold of that too!
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

User avatar
washline
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 7:46 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by washline »

mshiflet wrote:
tadk wrote:Bryan Eubanks - Desired Climate Works 2006 - 2007



I haven't either. Since he notes that it was never his intention, I don't really feel bad about it either. What a monster. I'm actually still assembling the last few copies on an order-per-order basis. Got burned out after 85 or so...
This is a superb release. I quite like Eubanks' contribution to the drone area. Congratulations Mr. Shiflet.
A desk is a dangerous place from which to watch the world.-- John le Carre

tadk
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by tadk »

Dan Warburton wrote:Oh, is Livre des Morts out? Must get hold of that too!
yes, it is. my copy arrived today

User avatar
Stephen
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:24 am
Location: Bristol UK
Contact:

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by Stephen »

tadk wrote: Brethren of the Free Spirit - All Things Are from Him, through Him and in Him
Though I too agree with much of your list, I was thoroughly disappointed by this record.

tadk
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by tadk »

washline wrote:This is a superb release. I quite like Eubanks' contribution to the drone area. Congratulations Mr. Shiflet.
oh, that killer packaging

tadk
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by tadk »

Stephen wrote:
tadk wrote: Brethren of the Free Spirit - All Things Are from Him, through Him and in Him
Though I too agree with much of your list, I was thoroughly disappointed by this record.
at first i was slightly disappointed, but successive listenings to it made me change the opinion and now i really like this disc

User avatar
Yii
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: Paju, Korea
Contact:

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by Yii »

tadk wrote:oh, that killer packaging
Image Image
Image Image

that's mine! what's your packaging looks like?

i've heard of all editions are different. :geek:
No work tomorrow to work today.

User avatar
Stephen
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:24 am
Location: Bristol UK
Contact:

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by Stephen »

Yii wrote: that's mine! what's your packaging looks like?
Mine's pretty similar: a little more blue and doesn't feature the old label logo which sits nicely in the front bottom left of your'n. My copy of the Pulse Emitter 2CD on gameboy has a fragment of the Judas Priest font (at least that's what I think it is).

mshiflet
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 9:57 am

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by mshiflet »

Kinda weird seeing our crummy local paper on the screen. I always like to imagine people taking a few seconds to read about the high school wrestling team or sidewalk legislation when they get their packages.

tadk
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by tadk »

Yii wrote: that's mine! what's your packaging looks like?
mine is very similiar too it's white and pale blue (made of The Hi-Lo's' old LP cover).


but this one looks slightly different
Image
i wish i had it
Last edited by tadk on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

mshiflet
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 9:57 am

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by mshiflet »

tadk wrote:First [Lionel Marchetti & Seijiro Murayama] "Hatali Atseli (L'Echange des Yuex), then "Adèle et Hadrien (Le Livre des Vacances)" and now [Olivier Capparos & Lionel Marchetti] "Livre des morts". This year belongs to Marchetti.
Also: Reissue of "Knud um Nom du Serpent" is next up on the Intransitive release schedule.

User avatar
Stephen
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:24 am
Location: Bristol UK
Contact:

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by Stephen »

A few to add that weren't on tadk's list:

Three legged race – living order/mourning order (tonefilth) - previously available on cassettes
Eli Keszler – Livingston (rare youth)
Eli Keszler – R.L.K. - don't know how many times I've already mentioned these in other threads but this guy is discovery of the year thus far.
Deterioration Yellow Swans (modern radio) - again repress of a cassette
Bardo Pond – Batholith (three lobed)

User avatar
Yii
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: Paju, Korea
Contact:

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by Yii »

mshiflet wrote:Kinda weird seeing our crummy local paper on the screen. I always like to imagine people taking a few seconds to read about the high school wrestling team or sidewalk legislation when they get their packages.
hehe :lol:
No work tomorrow to work today.

mshiflet
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 9:57 am

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by mshiflet »

Was reminded as I grabbed it to take to work with me today, does the Dave Phillips field recordings disc count as 2008? Has Chris even officially announced it yet?

tadk
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by tadk »

I haven't heard anything by Dave Phillips yet. Where to start ?

User avatar
jon abbey
Posts: 19017
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by jon abbey »

mshiflet wrote:Was reminded as I grabbed it to take to work with me today, does the Dave Phillips field recordings disc count as 2008? Has Chris even officially announced it yet?
he's never sent them out for distribution, I've asked him for copies a few times.

joe grimm
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 8:26 pm

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by joe grimm »

Stephen wrote: Eli Keszler – Livingston (rare youth)
Eli Keszler – R.L.K. - don't know how many times I've already mentioned these in other threads but this guy is discovery of the year thus far.
Eli is the real deal. Killer stuff.
He and Ashley Paul just released a duo disc, which is not to be missed.

User avatar
cleanzero
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:20 am
Location: Sicily, Italy
Contact:

Re: Notable discs 2008

Post by cleanzero »

obdo

Image

frédéric blondy - piano
thomas lehn - analogue synthesiser

The more I listen this, the more I think it's a true gem. I'm trying to write something about this cd but can't actually find the right words to say how much I like it.
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)