Chicago stores
Chicago stores
I've been purchasing 95% of my music online over the past years, so I'm out of the loop when it comes to good b&m stores. Where should I buy music in Chicago? My tastes tend towards the noisier psych stuff--I find much of what I want at Aquarius.
-
user_1696
while there are some great record stores in Chicago, as far as your NOISE PSYCH trip goes the best is Reckless on Belmont, Milwaukee or now downtown on like Madison is prob the best place to go(i think the Milwaukee Wicker Park place is best imo). Only Place I know with an experimental section. I have found tons of EAI stuff, noise, ect in that section for so cheap used. Since you made a whole thread on it i guess:
Dusty Groove: Great place to go with good prices on reggae, world music, hip hop, ect. I have seen a surprising amount of super cheap experimental stuff here and have scored some weird contemp comp LPs for really cheap here. They probably buy whatever but specialize in the above. Love this place
Gramaphone: On Clark Street. Good Place to get 12" hip hop and electro stuff. Cool staff too for sure
Dave's Record Store: Its like across the street from Gramaphone or maybe a few blocks down. All vinyl and mostly older music but oh man i found so much stuff here for so cheap. Lots of reissues of old shit as well as dirt cheap original vinyl sometimes. I got some minutemen records really cheap here which i sorta figure catch a lot of cash these days.
Ill add some more later.
Dusty Groove: Great place to go with good prices on reggae, world music, hip hop, ect. I have seen a surprising amount of super cheap experimental stuff here and have scored some weird contemp comp LPs for really cheap here. They probably buy whatever but specialize in the above. Love this place
Gramaphone: On Clark Street. Good Place to get 12" hip hop and electro stuff. Cool staff too for sure
Dave's Record Store: Its like across the street from Gramaphone or maybe a few blocks down. All vinyl and mostly older music but oh man i found so much stuff here for so cheap. Lots of reissues of old shit as well as dirt cheap original vinyl sometimes. I got some minutemen records really cheap here which i sorta figure catch a lot of cash these days.
Ill add some more later.
-
user_963
This is my favorite record store in the city. I've gotten SO much great shit there and I never leave without a stack. But for noise/psych, it's not the best. As mentioned, you would have better luck browsing the experimental sections at any Reckless location. It's limited at times, but decent stuff pops up (got Incapacitants' Ministry of Foolishness and C.C.C.C.'s Love & Noise for under $5 each).dave quam wrote:Dave's Record Store: Its like across the street from Gramaphone or maybe a few blocks down. All vinyl and mostly older music but oh man i found so much stuff here for so cheap. Lots of reissues of old shit as well as dirt cheap original vinyl sometimes. I got some minutemen records really cheap here which i sorta figure catch a lot of cash these days.
Also, there's a fairly new store called Permanent Records near Chicago and Damen. I've only been there once, but my friend and I were completely enamored with it after we left. Decent noise selection, as well.
