new discoveries this year

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

User avatar
jon abbey
Posts: 19017
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

new discoveries this year

Post by jon abbey »

the only rule here is anything cultural that you were exposed to for the first time this year, and that seriously impacted you, whenever it was made.

finally seeing the 15 hours of Berlin Alexanderplatz, and it didn't disappoint, powerful and lingering.

the Edition RZ David Tudor release, which somehow the Wire managed to leave off their top 10 reissues of the year. some of the best piano work I've heard from him on disc 1, and the seminal proto-EAI piece Variations II on disc 2:

"The astonishing recording here is of Cage's 'Variations II' (26.30), where Tudor for the first time - it was his decision, not suggested by Cage, or the score - wired the piano with both contact and directional microphones as well as LP cartridges, and worked with the piano guts, incipient feedback loops and noise to realise the score. Instantly recognised as a landmark at the time (1961), it remained for Cage one of his 'most significant productions'. "

Mitsuhiro Yoshimura, the first exciting new voice from the Tokyo scene for me in a few years. I'm very curious to see how his career develops from here, especially in collaborations.

being in the Rothko Chapel, sitting there alone in the morning. maybe the most charged atmosphere I've ever sat in, I couldn't do more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time before I needed fresh air.

that's a start, I'm sure I'll think of more.

User avatar
jon abbey
Posts: 19017
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

Post by jon abbey »

Dinosaur-Kiss Me Again, the 13 minute version from the Sire 12 inch, my favorite Arthur Russell track ever, and maybe the best disco track I've ever heard. this was thanks to MP3s from the late lamented Oink, it's a crime that this hasn't been reissued by anyone yet (Steve Knutson tells me he isn't interested in licensing anything).

user_294

Post by user_294 »

polmo polpo - like hearts swelling. just listening to this tonight for the first time. *so nice* it's reminding me of soft and hazy yo la tengo guitar moments, slowly looping and gently crescendoing in a smouldering, philip jeck-like manner. i guess there are some godspeed-y guitar figures in there. but it hits a sweet spot

User avatar
jpeatt
Posts: 759
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:08 pm

Post by jpeatt »

Flamenco doesn't suck.

Vangelis made a couple of albums that are 'okay', and possibly even 'good'.

User avatar
sound plague
Posts: 761
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:43 pm

Post by sound plague »

A few thing old and new that I discovered this year.

Emergence of Korea:
Thanks largely to Manual's "5 Modules" series a new wing of eai emerged to a wider listening population. Although I wasn't 100% taken with any of the 5 modules releases the promise is there and I'll be keeping an ear aimed in that direction as I'm sure several others around here will.

The Dave n' Graham show:
Who would have thought the Quam was more than just a pretty face and an ihm namesake? No way, he and Graham had to go and record one of the best things to grace my ears all year. A real jolt to what I viewed as an overly samey musical landscape this year.

Emaciator:
I went on a buying binge and loved everything that I heard.

Diving into the hip hop pool:
I cast my net wider this year and absorbed myself in more hip hop than ever before. I thank the following, old and new for what has been one of the grooviest years of my life. Damo, Babbletron, Binary Star, Black Star, Percee P, Kool G Rap, Mic Geronimo, O.C, A Tribe Called Quest, Nas, Wu Tang Clan, Prodigy, Mood, Ras Kass.... and too many others to mention.

Written Discoveries:
Thanks to the recommendation of friends and ihmers I've had alot of great material to read this year. Shout out to Jonathan Lethem, D. Harlen Wilson, Kenneth Patchen, Amos Tutuola, Denis Cooper, Steven Hall, Jane Bowles and many others.

I've enjoyed this year.

User avatar
bedouin
Posts: 999
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 10:49 pm

Post by bedouin »

eai / erstwhile

as a consequence of:
  • the improvisation meeting at bar aoyama - sugimoto opposite
in paralel with:
  • trapist - polwechsel (is this the best super-group ever?)
I am stunned that so many of these recordings are already 10+ yrs old and most often out of print.

user_5204

Post by user_5204 »

Klaus Lang.
Four sure one of the best "composers" of the XXI century. This year I've got five cds of his music, and all of them are excellent: Trauermusiken (1995), Sei-Jaku f?r streichquartett (2003)
and Einfalt.Stille (2007) in Edition RZ, Missa Beati Paupers Spiritu (2006) in Col Legno and Die ?eberwinterung der Mollusken (1999) in Durian. Absolute astounding music!

Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck.
His film "Das Leber der Anderen" is the best movie I've seen in 2007. It's the first movie I've seen from this young german film director, and we can wait better things in the future.

User avatar
J.F.
Posts: 1074
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:41 am

Post by J.F. »

In my teens I basically only cared for the prog/Zappa-side of rock-things and my musical interests spread from there into free jazz and contemporary classical stuff (roughly speaking).
In between, I tended to ignore the (post-)punk-phenomenon, which I eventually started to approach this year. Well - approached it from the distance via historical documents only (CDs, books, interviews), but what I learned about several relevant exponents changed my thinking, not only in musical terms, but to a small degree also on a more general level.


Many bands I checked out are not really my cup of tea, but there are two I had a mild week-long craze about after discovering them:
early Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle (FSK) and Public Image Limited, Wobble-era.

I'd say I only scratched the surface so far, and I'm looking forward to discover more.
. . . .

User avatar
Gaendaal
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:17 am

Post by Gaendaal »

Hiking for 5 days along the Great Wall of China (hopefully that counts as cultural...) - An utterly mindblowing experience and transforming in so many ways. The scenery, the people, the physical and mental strain, doing it all for charity. Quite honestly the best, most rewarding experience I've ever had.

Boredoms live in Glasgow - Transcendental. A superb gig that was not only excellent for its own sake but came at ba time where I really needed something as positive and energetic as it turned out to be.

user_4664

Post by user_4664 »

Peter Evans- The Peter Evans Quartet-s/t

GODOT
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:35 am

Post by GODOT »

Discovering the joys of Borges for the first time.

Labyrinths (collection of short stories) blew my mind like nothing else sine Blake and Beckett. The man is a genius.

Three Version of Judas especially is fantastic. Such a simple concept, but beautifully written.

If you haven't checked him out, do so now.

Other than that, seeing Mr Gira perform solo again. Devestating.

User avatar
Dohol
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: In the heart of the evil empire..
Contact:

Post by Dohol »

Cheese steak.










Whithout the Whiz...
“In a kind of middle-aged crisis, it dawned upon me that there was a possibility that music might not even be an art form.”

Morton Feldman


http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook

User avatar
schiksalgemeinschaft
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:43 am
Location: the low countries
Contact:

Post by schiksalgemeinschaft »

i finally fully realized the power of Roman Signer's work.

Image

sadly you can't experience it's full power on the internet or youtube.

I also think I discovered Joanna Newsom this year.

User avatar
faster
rasbliutto
Posts: 3278
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: The Internet
Contact:

Post by faster »

GODOT wrote:Discovering the joys of Borges for the first time.
Man, I envy you that feeling.
dohol wrote: Cheese steak
Man, I had one a couple weeks ago & it definitely underwhelmed. I really didn't get it.
You, of all people, should understand

User avatar
bryan
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:34 am

Post by bryan »

Faster wrote:
dohol wrote: Cheese steak
Man, I had one a couple weeks ago & it definitely underwhelmed. I really didn't get it.
even in the proper context (drunk and/or in philly)?

User avatar
faster
rasbliutto
Posts: 3278
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: The Internet
Contact:

Post by faster »

SeventhHarmonic wrote:
Faster wrote:
dohol wrote: Cheese steak
Man, I had one a couple weeks ago & it definitely underwhelmed. I really didn't get it.
even in the proper context (drunk and/or in philly)?
Well, in Philly at least.
You, of all people, should understand

User avatar
Dohol
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: In the heart of the evil empire..
Contact:

Post by Dohol »

Faster wrote:
GODOT wrote:Discovering the joys of Borges for the first time.
Man, I envy you that feeling.
dohol wrote: Cheese steak
Man, I had one a couple weeks ago & it definitely underwhelmed. I really didn't get it.
The source of said cheese steak is important since the quality is quite variable ( to say the least ). The best I had was pretty damn good, the rest were ho-hum to hideous.

Just like everything else in life..



And..

Borges!!!!


I would agree..
“In a kind of middle-aged crisis, it dawned upon me that there was a possibility that music might not even be an art form.”

Morton Feldman


http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook

User avatar
Richard Pinnell
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: Oxfordshire, England
Contact:

Post by Richard Pinnell »

javier4w wrote:Klaus Lang.
Four sure one of the best "composers" of the XXI century. This year I've got five cds of his music, and all of them are excellent: Trauermusiken (1995), Sei-Jaku f?r streichquartett (2003)
and Einfalt.Stille (2007) in Edition RZ, Missa Beati Paupers Spiritu (2006) in Col Legno and Die ?eberwinterung der Mollusken (1999) in Durian. Absolute astounding music!.
Agreed, all great discs, nice to have another Lang convert here!

Have you heard Jakob Ullmann's A Catalogue of Sounds on RZ? If you enjoy recent Lang then I thoroughly recommend that disc.

---

Nice thread.

For me, this year has been less about discovering new things, and more about spending time delving into areas I've been meaning to investigate for years.

Classical (as opposed to contemporary) composition has been my biggest "discovery" in 2007, I've been on a massive Mahler journey for about six months now in particular.

I watched a few good films this year too. I haven't really watched any film or TV at all for many years so just sitting and enjoying a film has been a bit of a discovery, even if I've only actually seen four films...

User avatar
hatta
Posts: 1785
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 11:22 pm
Contact:

Post by hatta »

Like Richard, I've spent more time delving into things that I had discovered in previous years. Probably the most encompassing of these has been the music of John Cage. That festival I attended in Vancouver last year really had opened my ears to his music. Before that I was in the camp that thought he was more of an idea man. That festival where I heard nearly 30 pieces across his entire career really demonstrated that he made amazing, fascinating, beautiful music throughout. Many of his pieces are very open ended and can be performed in such a way as to sound incredibly contemporary while still rigorously following the score. This I think is an amazing achievement and something that will allow his music to be of every age. So anyway I spent a lot of time getting more of his music this year. Not fiendishly, I'm not the sort that gets obsessed and then buys every single thing on day one. I like to let it stretch out and just get things as they strike my fancy. So I was probably getting several things a month from him with plenty more still to discover.

Likewise I filled out my Tudor collections and spent a lot more time with other members of the New York School. I really got into Earle Brown and Christian Wolff this year, again both of whom I'd listened to previously but now started to really explore. This will continue into next year.

In improv, there really wasn't much to discover this year. A lot of the maestro's did solid, engaging work but little to raise eyebrows. The biggest discovery, as Jon started this off with was, Mitsuhiro Yoshimura. Loving his stuff and excited to hear what he does next.
"Please everybody, if we haven't done what we could have done, we've tried"

Hubajube
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Post by Hubajube »

Heavy Winged
speed games (like this)
Lacinato kale and garlic sauteed in olive oil
Raw cabbage