that barely even came out in 2006, dude.tadk wrote:Rhodri Davies / Ko Ishikawa "Compositions for harp and sho" [Hibari]
secret records of the year.
A few that I haven't heard mentioned much around here:
Of - The Awful Cloud (darker and thicker than most Loren Chasse stuff)
AlasNoAxis - Dogs of Great Indifference (to me, it sounds closer to that last Pachora disk than it does to the AlasNoAxis back catalog)
Bonus - On Earth (the first track especially. It's quite active for something so solidly in the drone camp.)
Logan Sama - The War Report (a good summary of decent recent grime)
Zaika - Il Corral (my favorite of the recent Marcia Bassett output)
Sinking Infinities - Thousand-Year Reich (This is actually 2005 and is in heavy rotation for me right now. Just cello and electronics playing off each other with an ear towards the early minimalists. I just received their new CD but it hasn't sunk in yet.)
Of - The Awful Cloud (darker and thicker than most Loren Chasse stuff)
AlasNoAxis - Dogs of Great Indifference (to me, it sounds closer to that last Pachora disk than it does to the AlasNoAxis back catalog)
Bonus - On Earth (the first track especially. It's quite active for something so solidly in the drone camp.)
Logan Sama - The War Report (a good summary of decent recent grime)
Zaika - Il Corral (my favorite of the recent Marcia Bassett output)
Sinking Infinities - Thousand-Year Reich (This is actually 2005 and is in heavy rotation for me right now. Just cello and electronics playing off each other with an ear towards the early minimalists. I just received their new CD but it hasn't sunk in yet.)
the release date (according to japanimprov.com) is december 2006jon abbey wrote:that barely even came out in 2006, dude.tadk wrote:Rhodri Davies / Ko Ishikawa "Compositions for harp and sho" [Hibari]
check: http://www.japanimprov.com/indies/hibar ... rpsho.html
yes, i ordered it in january 2007, but it seems to be a 2006's disc.
- Richard Pinnell
- Posts: 2629
- Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:12 pm
- Location: Oxfordshire, England
- Contact:
Its definitely 2006. I got a copy from Rhodri on the day he received them from Japan, and that was December 15thtadk wrote:the release date (according to japanimprov.com) is december 2006jon abbey wrote:that barely even came out in 2006, dude.tadk wrote:Rhodri Davies / Ko Ishikawa "Compositions for harp and sho" [Hibari]
check: http://www.japanimprov.com/indies/hibar ... rpsho.html
yes, i ordered it in january 2007, but it seems to be a 2006's disc.
I think what Jon meant though was that it hasn't really had a chance to be a secret yet!
- Richard Pinnell
- Posts: 2629
- Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:12 pm
- Location: Oxfordshire, England
- Contact:
is this a secret record?
Alles 3 - I know how you frown [2006 Kwan Yin]
Toshimaru Nakamura & Nicholas Bussmann
http://www.myspace.com/alles3" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;
has anyone heard it?
Alles 3 - I know how you frown [2006 Kwan Yin]
Toshimaru Nakamura & Nicholas Bussmann
http://www.myspace.com/alles3" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;
has anyone heard it?
-
user_140
Yep - this disc is a monstergrisha wrote:i don't have a car, and my copy is on blood red vinyl. and i don't rank albums this year. but these are exactly my feelings about this album. simply the most moving metal album this year. and the last side of the record (old glory/mother's day) is some of the greatest music i ever heard.Gone wrote:for me, hands down it goes to the amazing HARVEY MILK album "Special Wishes"...best of the year by far. Put it here cause I'm not sure how many of you would have heard it...I know theres a handfull of us who like heavier music....
I love bands that get lumped into a particular genre of music then put out album after album that defies that genres conventions. Harvey Milk always get lumped into the Doom Metal genre...now, some of their songs definately fall into that skull crushing category (I've Got A Love from the newest for example.). But this release more than any has some gut wrenching songs...love songs about the american flag, songs about divorce and what it takes to be a man. I've had the album for months now and it's pretty much lived in my car ever since.
"Dedicated to Mother Earth, Sweet Sweet Music and Male Confidence"
those clips are nice. glitch meets noise? not too "improv-y" sounding.duif wrote:is this a secret record?
Alles 3 - I know how you frown [2006 Kwan Yin]
Toshimaru Nakamura & Nicholas Bussmann
http://www.myspace.com/alles3" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;
has anyone heard it?
i think being released on a chinese label qualifies it as being secret (to us westerners. . .).
-jesse
seeing him the other night (in person, not performance unfortunately) reminded me that tetsuya umeda's 'ocket' was a fine piece of work from 2006. think the disc definitely got some attention, being on IMJ and all, but not as much as it deserves. fans of tsunoda or joe colley - and esepecially fans of both - would dig this one.
know it's a little late for this thread, but thought i should plug him anyway.
know it's a little late for this thread, but thought i should plug him anyway.
Richard Pinnell wrote:Its definitely 2006. I got a copy from Rhodri on the day he received them from Japan, and that was December 15thtadk wrote:the release date (according to japanimprov.com) is december 2006jon abbey wrote: that barely even came out in 2006, dude.
check: http://www.japanimprov.com/indies/hibar ... rpsho.html
yes, i ordered it in january 2007, but it seems to be a 2006's disc.
I think what Jon meant though was that it hasn't really had a chance to be a secret yet!
Right, just December 2006 and a very nice record imo. The track credited to Antoine Beuger, with its expected silences is a real beauty.
An other record, that isn't that secret but maybe was underrated is "The Tone Garden" by Sei Miguel. Maybe it was too jazzy for much of the IHM people?
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)
"The Tone Garden" is a very good disc, but unfortunatelly it came out on Creative Sources. Some of the IHM people seem not to like this label and underrate all CS releases.cleanzero wrote: An other record, that isn't that secret but maybe was underrated is "The Tone Garden" by Sei Miguel. Maybe it was too jazzy for much of the IHM people?
some IHM people just have no patience to dig through the vast amount of mediocre stuff they pop out. i liked Grundik's record, though.tadk wrote:"The Tone Garden" is a very good disc, but unfortunatelly it came out on Creative Sources. Some of the IHM people seem not to like this label and underrate all CS releases.cleanzero wrote: An other record, that isn't that secret but maybe was underrated is "The Tone Garden" by Sei Miguel. Maybe it was too jazzy for much of the IHM people?
- fearandpanic
- Posts: 2363
- Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:41 pm
well, I've based my opinions on hearing at least 15-20 of them, if not more, and I still think the only two real keepers are the two Kai F. is on. I didn't get very far into The Tone Garden, I liked it more than Space, but that's really not saying much. I have a bunch of older Sei Miguel CDs also, not much of a fan. and I liked what I heard of Grundik K's disc, but I need to spend more time with that one sometime.fearandpanic wrote:Most of the time this isn't based on any kind of experience with the recordings in question.tadk wrote: "The Tone Garden" is a very good disc, but unfortunatelly it came out on Creative Sources. Some of the IHM people seem not to like this label and underrate all CS releases.
CS records I like (not that I've heard very much from the label and yes , it suffers the fearsome Mattin syndrome
)
The recent one by Punck "A costant migration..." is nice.: between field recordings and cinematic laptop soundscapes.
"Rocca" by Agnes Palier and Olivier Toulemade: raw, sparse electroacoustics and stuttering, suffocated vocalizations.
"Bruit" by Pedro Chambel: something like the first Kevin Drumm . Very abstract and un-musical guitar gestures. Not a masterpiece but worth a few listenings. :
The recent one by Punck "A costant migration..." is nice.: between field recordings and cinematic laptop soundscapes.
"Rocca" by Agnes Palier and Olivier Toulemade: raw, sparse electroacoustics and stuttering, suffocated vocalizations.
"Bruit" by Pedro Chambel: something like the first Kevin Drumm . Very abstract and un-musical guitar gestures. Not a masterpiece but worth a few listenings. :
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)
