The Top 10

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

User avatar
sound plague
Posts: 761
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:43 pm

Post by sound plague »

dave quam wrote:macklin what is that like pitchforks list? you weirdo
For some reason though Ys and Silent Shout have been swapped.

(<oo>)
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 9:47 am

Post by (<oo>) »

jon abbey wrote:how were the Dead C? they were amazing when I saw them ten or so years ago, but I bet they're pretty bad now.
i saw them at the nightmare before christmas: they were wonderful!

user_1484

Post by user_1484 »

sound plague wrote:
dave quam wrote:macklin what is that like pitchforks list? you weirdo
For some reason though Ys and Silent Shout have been swapped.
thats because its my list not pitchforks list duh

user_1730

Post by user_1730 »

my "temporary" 2006 favorites:

Astral social club - Astral Social Club CD (VHF)
Dialing in - Cows In Lye CD (Pseudo Arcana)
Pandit Pran Nath - Raga Cycle, Palace Theatre, Paris 1972 CD (Sri Moonshine)
Isolde - On Waving And Drowning CD (Penny Poppet)
Zaïmph - Mirage Of The Other LP (Gipsy Sphinx)
Timo Van Luyk And Kris Vanderstraeten - High Noon LP (La Scie Dorée)
Organum - Sanctus CD (Robot Records)
Ignatz - I Will Soothe My Eye To Feast It With A Sight Of Beauty CDR (Celebrate Psi Phenomenon)
Drudkh - Blood In Our Wells CD (Supernal Music)
Burial - Burial CD (Hyperdub)
Paul Labreque & Valerie Webb - Trees, Chants and Hollers LP (Eclipse)
Samara Lubelski - Quartet CS (Sloow Tapes)
Daniel (A.I.U.) Higgs - Interdimensional Song-Seamstress; Ancestral Songs LP (Holy Mountain)

REISSUES
Beauregard Ajax - Deaf Priscilla CD (Shadoks Music)
Harmonia - Musik von Harmonia CD (Lilith)
Ariel Kalma - Osmose CD (Beta-Lactam Ring Records, Blur Series)
The Tree People - The Tree People CD (Tiliqua Records)
Gravity Adjusters Expansion Band - One CD (Paradigm Discs)
Incapacitants - Pariah Tapes 5CD-box (Freak Animal Records)
Hardal - Nereden Nereye! CD (Underground Masters)

user_1935

Post by user_1935 »

Nas - Hip Hop is Dead

user_19

Post by user_19 »

salvajes wrote: Ariel Kalma - Osmose CD (Beta-Lactam Ring Records, Blur Series)
Nice to see this get some exposure around here. I must admit that it was the packaging that caught my attention, but I was pleased to be equally engaged through listening.

Looks like a good list. Many titles I don't recognize - these year-end deals can sometimes be an invaluable resource for catching up on what I missed.

User avatar
William Hutson
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:10 am

Post by William Hutson »

7:12pm wrote:Nas - Hip Hop is Dead
yuck!

User avatar
tristan
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 9:33 pm

Post by tristan »

I've had trouble making a definitive top ten this year, but here's something vague and noncommittal:

keith fullerton whitman - lisbon
subtle - for hero: for fool
m. ward - post-war
nmperign / jason lescalleet - love me two times
geoff mullen - thrtysxtrllnmnfstns
bibio - hand cranked
j dilla - donuts
wooden wand and the sky high band - second attention
skygreen leopards - disciples of california
charalambides - a vintage burden

There are a number of other things I wish I could put on there. The Hot Chip record is great, have enjoyed Ami Yoshida & Christof Kurzmann, Xiu Xiu, Voices & Organs, TV on the Radio (which should probably be on there...but I don't know, got a little tired of it I guess), and others.

Now that I think about it, this year in music was actually much better than I originally thought. However, was pretty disappointing in terms of releases from artists I previously really liked.

user_294

Post by user_294 »

William Hutson wrote:
7:12pm wrote:Nas - Hip Hop is Dead
yuck!
yeah, it's not very good. the new game album pretty much kills it

user_72

Post by user_72 »

1. Scott Walker - The Drift
2. Starving Weirdos - Eastern Light
3. Volcano the Bear - Classic Erasmus Fusion
4. Various Artists - Free London
5. Andrew Liles - The Dying Submariner
6. With Throats As Fine As Needles - s/t
7. Loosers - Bully Bones of Belgie
8. No-Neck Blues Band & Embryo - Embryonnck
9. TV On the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
10. Excepter - Sunbomber

User avatar
p_ano
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 9:36 pm
Contact:

Post by p_ano »

hey, what happened to joe and i's posts in this thread?

edit: oh duh! i see it now in the ihe forum.

Hubajube
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Post by Hubajube »

resolved wrote:Villalobos - Fizheuer Zieheuer
I don't get all the love this one is getting. Sure, it's a great workable tool, but as something to listen to beginning to end, it's somewhat dry. It doesn't have the remarkable twists and turns that Achso or Chromosul had.

Hubajube
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Post by Hubajube »

01> Surgeon - Glade Festival 07.14.06
02> Birchville Cat Motel - Our Love Will Destroy The World
03> Kode 9 ft the Spaceape - Dubstep Allstars 3
04> Burial
05> The Goslings - Grandeur of Hair
06> Keith Fullerton Whitman - Lisbon
07> Grievous Angel - Dubstep Sufferah
08> Axolotl - Object Phantom
09> Of - The Awful Cloud
10> Drift Yellow Swans
11> James Holden - At the Controls
12> AlasNoAxis - Dogs of Great Indifference
13> Maggoted
14> Yellow Swans & Birchville Cat Motel
15> Bonus - On Earth
16> Mudsuckers
17> The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
18> Excepter - Sunbomber
19> Skream/Stormfield - Ammunition
20> Kevin Drumm/2673 split
21> Jesu - Silver
22> Ashtray Navigations - A Monument to British Rock
23> Dove Yellow Swans - Live During War Crimes #2
24> Astral Social Club
25> Mouthus - For the Great Slave Lakes
26> Axolotl - Way Blank

user_380

Post by user_380 »

i dont really remember what came out when
but people's tapes and records whatever i liked from this year::

king darves
kites
car commercials
homeblitz
noise nomads
then and than
turmoiled functions
deep jew
dynasty
honed bastion(dead/bird)
spitting cobra
black pus

user_1224

Post by user_1224 »

It will require another 2-3 months for me to thoroughly hear the many contenders for my Top 10 list. But it's certain these four will make the cut:

Rowe/Nakamura: Between
Nmperign/Lescalleet: Love Me Two Times
Wolff: Ten Exercises
Red Krayola: Introduction

I know, no "secret" recordings here. Sorry.

Audiobook of the year... Beckett: Krapp's Last Tape; That Time; Not I; A Piece of Monologue (Naxos Audiobooks)

mudd
Site Admin
Posts: 4514
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Post by mudd »

eh, no worries, that's a different thread.

i expect i'll have a good idea of my favorite records from 2006 in just another 8 or 9 months. but i don't do lists.

m

user_752

Post by user_752 »

Hubajube wrote:
resolved wrote:Villalobos - Fizheuer Zieheuer
I don't get all the love this one is getting. Sure, it's a great workable tool, but as something to listen to beginning to end, it's somewhat dry. It doesn't have the remarkable twists and turns that Achso or Chromosul had.
these tracks aren't as danceable, or distinct in their functional effect. Achso is his best release, for me, but Fizheuer has provided me with my musical MOMENTS of the year. it's a very CONTEXT based record, and totally functional.

I go nightclubbing. I've heard Villalobos or Luciano drop it through the Fabric soundsystem (best in the world) on three separate occassions around 8AM in the morning. that's what it's meant for, not listening to at home.

I'm skeptical he ever intended it for public release himself, more as a tool for his sets (you should see the looks on people's faces when they first hear the horns LOUD -- priceless) but I'm happy he did so I can relive the joy in my living room.

also you may be listening to the vinyl rip from soulseek. terrible idea, sounds like SHIT. when something's got this little going on, you need to hear it uncompressed so those horns BURST out above the rhythm like they're supposed to. (although obviously it's nothing like hearing it over a proper rig)

user_752

Post by user_752 »

it's also fun as hell. the oompa poompa horns make me grin. why's everybody got to take it so seriously?

user_752

Post by user_752 »

and I've listened to side 2 all of twice. to me the record is 15 minutes long.

user_546

Post by user_546 »

i'm never really 100% on what came out when, but i'm pretty sure these are all from the last year, and i can remember enjoying them enough to warrant a mention:

astromero - st
ex-cocaine - age of time
mattin & cremaster - barcelona
chris corsano - young cricketer

there are more that i'm forgetting, that list doesn't particularly look like me... maybe throw in the last spunk album since that came out too late for the last round (or was it barely in the new year?).
Timo Van Luyk And Kris Vanderstraeten - High Noon LP (La Scie Dorée)
also interested to see this in there somewhere. just picked up a copy today and haven't had a chance to give it a listen, but the guy behind the counter got quite enthused (though i have no idea what he actually said about it; language barrier).