Anyone know how the Genelec 8050a matches up to the 1032a?
Any other reccomendations? how are the smaller models, still as bright and clear in the upper registers?
Search found 18 matches
- Thu May 07, 2009 6:20 pm
- Forum: I Hate Making Music
- Topic: Studio Monitors
- Replies: 35
- Views: 15715
- Mon May 04, 2009 10:55 am
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
- Replies: 74
- Views: 14153
Re: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
Also, let us not forget that Dufour's label MOTUS is also a leading publisher of new acousmatic work Never heard of it, any recommendations? In all honesty, they're not that easy to track down, theres lots of contemporary composers published through it, but unfortunately havent had the pleasure to ...
- Sun May 03, 2009 5:55 am
- Forum: I Hate Making Music
- Topic: SDHC cards.. compatibility issues.
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1429
SDHC cards.. compatibility issues.
Has anyone experianced incompatibility issues with regard to SDHC format SD memory cards? I recently purchased one thinking that it *might* work in my Edirol R09, it didnt.. but then it also didnt even function as a pen drive with my cheap Dell, or ibook G4.. are these things really new? (not notice...
- Sun May 03, 2009 5:49 am
- Forum: I Hate Making Music
- Topic: recommendations for portable .wav/.mp3 recorders?
- Replies: 28
- Views: 9467
Re: recommendations for portable .wav/.mp3 recorders?
Hope there's not a really good reason why this hasn't been mentioned before: Edirol R09 I have not found or tried another recorder I like better so far, and that includes the expensive sony's. The built in mics are excellent. It doesn't say how sensitive they are on the specs, but there's a mention...
- Sun May 03, 2009 4:57 am
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Contemporary Music Theory
- Replies: 19
- Views: 5019
Re: Contemporary Music Theory
As I read somewhere lurking around here, you're a student of Smalley's? At City? So you're probably familiar with my tutor, John Dack. He's the one giving me my lectures. And I envy your locales, shiny place it is. ..Yes that is correct, and am familiar with John Dack, but perhaps not as much as I ...
- Sat May 02, 2009 1:33 pm
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Contemporary Music Theory
- Replies: 19
- Views: 5019
Re: Contemporary Music Theory
Emmerson is the one I found most interesting, but I'm sure there's lots more fascinating stuff out there. Learning about listening and classifying sounds has helped me more than the times I have tried to learn musical theory. Actually, I have some of my lectures recorded and some pdf's, if any of i...
- Sat May 02, 2009 12:20 pm
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
- Replies: 74
- Views: 14153
Re: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
Adam Asnan wrote: Also, let us not forget that Dufour's label MOTUS is also a leading publisher of new acousmatic work Never heard of it, any recommendations? In all honesty, they're not that easy to track down, theres lots of contemporary composers published through it, but unfortunately havent ha...
- Sat May 02, 2009 11:42 am
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
- Replies: 74
- Views: 14153
Re: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
throwing my hat in the ring as someone who uses composition, improvisation & creates a lot of that with 'field recordings' I can say that there are fewer & fewer folks at the more creative end of FR that find terms such as acoustmatic or soundscape appropriate or comfortable. They serve a purpose a...
- Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:53 pm
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
- Replies: 74
- Views: 14153
Re: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
On one hand people criticize the music as doing "excessive aestheticisation" and sugar-coating or being too sterile. Yet everyone seems to like Dhomont for example, who does that too. Parmegiani's De Natura Sonorum seems to be a particular IHM favorite, but I don't quite see how its aestheticisatio...
- Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:27 pm
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
- Replies: 74
- Views: 14153
Re: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
Funny, I've always found John Young to be slightly dry. Like he has a very clear point he wants to make and makes it carefully, but never really moves beyond that to thrill or excite. Considerate is a good word for his music but IMO also slightly negatively. I know what you mean, however I think hi...
- Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:14 pm
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
- Replies: 74
- Views: 14153
Re: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
Also, let us not forget that Dufour's label MOTUS is also a leading publisher of new acousmatic work
- Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:59 pm
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
- Replies: 74
- Views: 14153
Re: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
Maybe so, but in my experience of diffused performances, they have worked considerably better with a wider and less exclusive timbral palette. Chion's Requiem and Bayle's Experience Acoustique both deploy 'raw' sounds amongst a dominance of processed material, Is anyone doing this on diffusion syst...
- Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:19 pm
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
- Replies: 74
- Views: 14153
Re: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
Dufour is a leading example of one who has been taught the classics aesthetics and transcribed this to latter day techniques, plus his (fidelity) mixing is outstanding, not too bright and shiny, but clear and realistic. Im not really sure whether more pieces of acousmatic art have been produced betw...
- Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:20 pm
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
- Replies: 74
- Views: 14153
Re: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
Oh yes, and lets not forget John Young..
- Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:09 pm
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
- Replies: 74
- Views: 14153
Re: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
This is a great thread, infact, I am very interested as to other's appreciation of the latter day acousmatic arts. I am a firm follower of the classic musique concrete traditions, extending into the mid-late 70s INA-GRM offerings, but fear that my peers are not so keen (that is to say, those compose...
- Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:04 pm
- Forum: I Hate Making Music
- Topic: I hate achieving good sound isolation in a recording
- Replies: 5
- Views: 1957
Re: I hate achieving good sound isolation in a recording
Yes, a constant issue. I am between a 'sound proof' studio pod and my humble room when it comes to source recordings, one thing I've found is that it can be a real pain having to lug heavy/bulky/otherwise inconvenient objects around to treated spaces. At the moment, the studios I (have) been using h...
- Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:35 pm
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Avant Garde Project torrent 146 is up and running
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1018
Re: Avant Garde Project torrent 146 is up and running
Gorgeous work.
- Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:04 am
- Forum: I Hate Music
- Topic: Columbia Computer Music Center
- Replies: 14
- Views: 3923
Re: Columbia Computer Music Center
the importance of those with whom you study. I strongly recommend doing some research about faculty members at different schools and pursue studying with those who interest you most. Yes, this is perhaps the most important aspect to studying within the arts, that and the facilities. I am finishing ...
