Search found 22 matches

by joe grimm
Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:05 pm
Forum: I Hate Music
Topic: Rap Music
Replies: 613
Views: 248385

Re: Rap Music

my favorite gucci track: "i think i love her" feat. esther dean.

what's the new lil wayne mixtape? i recently downloaded "steady mobbin" and the title track fucking KILLS. kiiiiillllllssssss. But the rest of it is boring.
by joe grimm
Mon May 18, 2009 10:41 am
Forum: I Hate Music
Topic: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics
Replies: 74
Views: 14195

Re: Empreintes DIGITALes & modern electroacoustics

When Pierre Schaefer introduced the term "acousmatic" he did so in reference to an ancient Pythagorean sect, the acousmatic cult. Their spiritual practice involved listening to their teacher lecturing behind a sheet of cloth, so that ostensibly the words could be heard without reference to the perso...
by joe grimm
Mon May 18, 2009 9:48 am
Forum: I Hate Making Music
Topic: controlla troll da world...
Replies: 36
Views: 9357

Re: controlla troll da world...

Hi all, I'm looking for a controller that has a ton of knobs, and basically nothing but knobs. A few switches would be okay too. But the more pots, the better. Ideas? The closest thing I've seen so far is the behringer BCR2000... has 32 pots and some switches, and doesn't look too silly. But given b...
by joe grimm
Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:49 pm
Forum: I Hate Promotions
Topic: Chicago: Monday, May 4 --- Lucky Dragons, Joe Grimm, Lichens
Replies: 0
Views: 585

Chicago: Monday, May 4 --- Lucky Dragons, Joe Grimm, Lichens

TRESPASSING BODY LIMITS BYO LIQUID INSPIRATION ------------------- Lucky Dragons lucky dragons are about the birthing of new and temporary creatures--equal-power situations in which audience members cooperate amongst themselves, building up fragile networks held together by such light things as skin...
by joe grimm
Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:53 pm
Forum: I Hate Music
Topic: new site: erstwords
Replies: 109
Views: 33728

Re: new site: erstwords

hello all, I just want to register my discomfort with the dominant vibe of this thread: the idea that "talking about musical processes, concepts, ideas is magic-killing." To insist that music must exist without verbally-expressed context is pure formalism. It ignores the way that shifts in conceptua...
by joe grimm
Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:22 am
Forum: I Hate Music
Topic: What's good?
Replies: 77
Views: 12322

Re: What's good?

1. a piece is good when it causes me to reevaluate the conventions of its medium... in some small way, it changes the rules of the context in which it operates.. Although this is no more universally valid than No.2 above and is in fact just a description of something that is original or groundbreak...
by joe grimm
Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:43 pm
Forum: I Hate Music
Topic: What's good?
Replies: 77
Views: 12322

Re: What's good?

I don't usually post here, but this is an interesting topic for me. I do think there's more to be said than "it's all subjective; the question can't be answered." here are two ways that I personally know something is good: 1. a piece is good when it causes me to reevaluate the conventions of its med...
by joe grimm
Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:55 pm
Forum: I Hate Promotions
Topic: Sat 9/13 in Chicago: The Sound and Light Show
Replies: 2
Views: 999

Re: Sat 9/13 in Chicago: The Sound and Light Show

Hi! Yeah, make sure to introduce yourself if you come by. I don't think the nightingale is part of roots and culture, but it's right down the street. As I understand it, it's mainly a space devoted to experimental film and video. I don't know how long my New Chicagoan status lasts but i've been here...
by joe grimm
Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:27 pm
Forum: I Hate Promotions
Topic: Sat 9/13 in Chicago: The Sound and Light Show
Replies: 2
Views: 999

Sat 9/13 in Chicago: The Sound and Light Show

This is the live debut of EPIPHENOMENAL BOOGIE: LIGHT-SOUND SINGULARITIES IN PATTERNED TIME (my new piece for three hacked 16mm projectors, light-sensitive electronics, and gong). Also featuring challenging and exciting experimental films by Lauren Carter and Ben Russell, all with live sound. ------...
by joe grimm
Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:27 pm
Forum: I Hate Music
Topic: Essential philosophical texts on music
Replies: 30
Views: 6375

Re: Essential philosophical texts on music

Trevor Wishart's "On Sonic Art" was thought-provoking for me.
by joe grimm
Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:48 pm
Forum: I Hate Making Music
Topic: Music and language
Replies: 23
Views: 5159

Re: Music and language

the relationship between music and language is an interesting question for me. I prefer to think of a spectrum between two poles: music as architecture: dealing with formal qualities of sound as if it the music were an object in itself, to be sculpted (xenakis's perspective, more common in compositi...
by joe grimm
Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:10 am
Forum: I Hate Music
Topic: Notable discs 2008
Replies: 43
Views: 9646

Re: Notable discs 2008

Stephen wrote: Eli Keszler – Livingston (rare youth)
Eli Keszler – R.L.K. - don't know how many times I've already mentioned these in other threads but this guy is discovery of the year thus far.
Eli is the real deal. Killer stuff.
He and Ashley Paul just released a duo disc, which is not to be missed.
by joe grimm
Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:03 am
Forum: I Hate Making Music
Topic: I Hate Oscillators
Replies: 24
Views: 8102

Re: I Hate Oscillators

dan and keith: thanks for those links.
by joe grimm
Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:32 pm
Forum: I Hate Making Music
Topic: Tuning
Replies: 55
Views: 8804

Re: Tuning

I don't think Tenney (or Joe, for that matter - but correct me if I'm wrong there) is saying that this tolerance for imperfection is a reason to NOT use JI. Rather, it is a reason TO use JI. With our ability to accept imperfections in intonation, it is far less stifling a prospect to compose in jus...
by joe grimm
Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:04 pm
Forum: I Hate Making Music
Topic: Tuning
Replies: 55
Views: 8804

Tuning

James Tenney wrote a lot on this topic. One of my favorite essays of his is "John Cage and the Theory of Harmony." Among other things, he talks in this essay about just intonation and "tolerance". I think his account is pragmatic and balanced. He considers the just (fractionally-related) intervals t...
by joe grimm
Wed May 28, 2008 5:06 pm
Forum: I Hate Music
Topic: Spectralism
Replies: 83
Views: 17026

Re: Spectralism

7/4 wrote:The Nov. 2003 issue of the Wire has a Spectralism Primer.


I should have a pdf of the scan available soon.

looking forward to that.
by joe grimm
Tue May 20, 2008 10:40 am
Forum: I Hate Music
Topic: Field Recordings
Replies: 102
Views: 27693

Re: Field Recordings

I'm almost always uninterested in recordings "to describe a natural phenomena or to show a landscape." It's patronizing, as if we can't go for a walk or put our ears up to the refrigerator on our own, without the aid of an "artist." do you also find documentary photography patronizing? after all, y...
by joe grimm
Wed May 14, 2008 3:40 pm
Forum: I Hate Music
Topic: Spectralism
Replies: 83
Views: 17026

Re: Spectralism

I'm in the process of discovering Dumitrescu. To me, his music sounds less structurally rigorous than Grisey's or Murail's; instead of using timbre and the harmonic series as a systemic basis for the pitch choices to be played on classical instruments (played with a clear, "normal" tone), he seems t...
by joe grimm
Wed May 14, 2008 2:43 pm
Forum: I Hate Music
Topic: Spectralism
Replies: 83
Views: 17026

Re: Spectralism

Rounding a Just/Harmonic interval off to an interval from equal division of the octave is jive. The sum and difference tones will not be the same. Sure, but for the Grisey pieces (for example), quarter-tone notation was used for pragmatic reasons. For musicians used to reading conventional notation...
by joe grimm
Tue May 13, 2008 1:07 pm
Forum: I Hate Music
Topic: Listening habits on iPod
Replies: 47
Views: 9113

Re: Listening habits on iPod

there is some misinformation here. lossless is lossless. every one and zero is retained -- it's just packed differently for storage, and then decoded back to full resolution during playback. if you can hear a difference, that difference is coming from some other point in the signal chain (perhaps th...